The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Note: I do not know a lot of the ins and outs of bow specs.

I am considering upgrading my bow for next year. I have heard a lot of good things about Mathews so I checked them out (online). They are ridiculously priced. So I looked (online) at the Mission which is made by Mathews. What are the downgrades from a Mathews bow that makes the Mission cheaper? I am usually a "you get what you pay for" kinda guy so it would seem to me that Mathews is elite and they have downgraded something to get to the cheaper bow - Mission? Does this also mean that even though Mathews makes Mission that it is not elite like the Mathews and that it is comparable to other $599 bows?

Sorry for the ramble, just looking for some solid advice. I will be making my way to the shop but probably not until after season. And yes I will be checking out all brands, just curious about this Mission.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
there really isnt that much of a difference, i shot a mission for a few years and it was a great bow. the blaze doesnt have a roller guard but a chill does (no biggie) the riser is different and the mission might be a cast riser

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Mission bows are cheaper because they are basically Mathews technology from a few years prior. They wanted a product that was affordable and appealed to someone who did not want to drop 8-900 bucks on a new bow.

I know several people with the Mission Craze and they all like them. I shot a Mission 4 years ago before I bought the Z7 and I thought it shot well but definately did not have the feel of the newer Mathews.

Nothing wrong with buying a Mission.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I took a brief look at the mission bows, while I was looking for my new bow this past summer. I had shot for 3 years a PSE Axe 6. My old pse was a good bow for me to start with. It gave me a good base line for what I wanted to upgrade to.

What are you shooting now?

I wanted a forgiving bow with decent speed, I wanted it light, packable and quite. I wanted a nice smooth draw and most of all a solid back wall. My biggest gripe about my pse was it wanted to go go go. And it had a shorter brace height. So it was not as forgiving.

My heart still pounds out of my chest when I see a deer I want to shoot. So I need all the help I can get.

I guess now on to the actual bow selection. I have found that you don't need to spend top dollar on equipment to get the job done. I have savage rifles that will out shoot my fathers Cooper rifles every day of the week. His look nicer but the deer don't care about that. lol

I looked at all the bows in my local shop. PSE, Mission, Mathews, Diamond, Bowtech and Bear. I had looked at the G5 and Martins at another shop. I made a decision I would go after the bow that fit me the best. With in my spec's. I hunt from a tree stand 100% of the time in archery and most of the time I am walking in deep. So I need it compact.

I drew and shot and played with more bows than I can remember. But I kept coming back to the Mathews. Price is killer. I know. That really was hard to get over. Especially when you start adding your accessories. However, I wanted a bow that would last, Life time warranty is great! I really liked how smooth it was and quiet. The fit and finish is outstanding and accurate to boot. The Mathews Creed XS is what I got. I am short 5'7". With a 27.5 inch draw length. This bow fit me the best. Was the smoothest and the lightest.

I wouldn't do my shopping online. Get to a bow shop with a big selection. Work with someone who will take their time with you and "fit" a good bow to you. I learned a lot by shopping for my new bow and it has paid off with better accuracy and more confidence with my shots.

The mission bow has standard options for a bow in its price range. I would search for many different bows in that price range and see what fits you the best.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gunjack said:
Bear Done Deal. Really isn't a bad bow. I've had it for about 6 yrs now. I'm not sure that it is set up right. When I first got it I had Bass Pro do some work on it and when I drew it back in their shooting lane it "blew up". He spent 1/2 hour putting it back together. Made me very nervous. Sometimes the arrow flies wacky. And the string always goes outside the dampener after I release. So maybe I just need to take it to a good shop to tune it but I was thinking of just starting fresh.

·
Registered
876 Posts
nrowles said:
Gunjack said:
Bear Done Deal. Really isn't a bad bow. I've had it for about 6 yrs now. I'm not sure that it is set up right. When I first got it I had Bass Pro do some work on it and when I drew it back in their shooting lane it "blew up". He spent 1/2 hour putting it back together. Made me very nervous. Sometimes the arrow flies wacky. And the string always goes outside the dampener after I release. So maybe I just need to take it to a good shop to tune it but I was thinking of just starting fresh.
Ohhh gesshhh. Sounds like they did a number on your bow. I would take it to a good place for them to look at it. Most places will be pretty busy this time of year so get there early and with time to spare.

I have a cabin in Bedford. We often go to Juniata Tradeing, I have never been in there for archery equipement always ammo. Or to just look around. Are they any good?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gunjack said:
Ohhh gesshhh. Sounds like they did a number on your bow. I would take it to a good place for them to look at it. Most places will be pretty busy this time of year so get there early and with time to spare.

I have a cabin in Bedford. We often go to Juniata Tradeing, I have never been in there for archery equipement always ammo. Or to just look around. Are they any good?
The bow never seemed to have accuracy issues so I didn't get too concerned about it. Would like to tune it though even if I sell it.

Never been to Juniata trading. That's none too close to me.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Gunjack said:
nrowles said:
Gunjack said:

I wouldnt let them work on my bow

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I'm shooting an 09 Mission Eliminator. It's quiet and shoots great. I can afford any bow I want, just don't want any right now.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I have a mission blaze and love it. I upgraded this year from my 4 year old mission buckmaster. I never had an issue with my buckmaster just felt like buying something new

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I shoot a Mission Ballistic... I test drove a few.. Mathews, Bear, Hoyt, and Elite. This bow was the best fit for my hand and form. It has a solid back wall, and my Gold Tips are screaming.... Test drive a few, but Mission is definately worth the buy...

·
Registered
445 Posts
Mission bows are well made and shoot strait. Personally, I like Matthews Z7 and/or Creed better but you'll be absolutely fine with a Mission.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts