The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MATHEWS MARKETING STRIKES AGAIN. I TALKED TO A KID TONIGHT AT A STEELER PARTY WHO ORDERED A NEW Z7. I ASKED HIM HOW IT FELT. I DON'T KNOW, THE DEALER DID NOT HAVE ONE IN MY DRAW LENGTH. SO I DIDN'T SHOOT ONE. FURTHER CONVERSATION, HE NEVER DREW ONE. HE BOUGHT IT BECAUSE A LOT OF HUNTERS USE IT ON THE OUTDOOR CHANNEL. I JUST SAID SUCKER AND WALKED AWAY. I WONDER IF BOUGHT A CHEVY IMPALA CAUSE DALE JR DRIVES ONE.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I love mine. I just shot a 294 at the shoot today in the rain. Second shoot I ever did, first in the past 15 years.

There is a reason why they are selling so fast.

·
Registered
351 Posts
sounds like the kid bette hope the bow fits him and is comfotable. i shot 4 different mathews among other brands before i bought my switchback. and as onelongshot said. the bow can only do so much. the shooter has to put the time into it to be good at it. its not a gun or cross bow where you shoot it in and its good for the season.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Although I wouldn't recommend buying a bow without shooting it, that is just what I did when I bought my last bow. Yes it was a Mathews, but I knew exactly what I wanted with regard to length, brace, draw length, etc. The upside for this kid is that if he really doesn't like it he will get almost retail price reselling a Mathews.

V

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Them fellers on tv would use a spitball and straw if someone would pay them too . You can't go by what someone on tv uses.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I agree. I'd never buy a bow without shooting it. That having been said, I shot a Mathews Z7 and wasn't sure I wanted to spend that kind of money. That is.... ...until I shot some other bows. Nothing else compared. But I'm sure its not the right bow for everyone.

By the way, I had my old bow for ten years, and finally felt it was time for an upgrade. I'm not one of these guys who buys a new bow every year or two.

·
Banned
462 Posts
Venatic said:
Although I wouldn't recommend buying a bow without shooting it, that is just what I did when I bought my last bow. Yes it was a Mathews, but I knew exactly what I wanted with regard to length, brace, draw length, etc. The upside for this kid is that if he really doesn't like it he will get almost retail price reselling a Mathews.

V

HAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

If he finds someone with the same mentality that he has, sure he wont loose alot....if he puts it online or on the bowshops consinement (sp?) rack he will get 200 less than wat he paid if hes lucky!!!

As for him buying something based of what he sees on TV.....that describes about 90% of the US population, and no im not just talking about the archery world!

·
Registered
946 Posts
PAkilla86 said:
Venatic said:

V

HAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

If he finds someone with the same mentality that he has, sure he wont loose alot....if he puts it online or on the bowshops consinement (sp?) rack he will get 200 less than wat he paid if hes lucky!!!

As for him buying something based of what he sees on TV.....that describes about 90% of the US population, and no im not just talking about the archery world!
Laugh if you want but if you post a Z7 on Archerytalk for $200 under retail you'll be shipping it the next day. I used to be a big Mathews hater because all the hype was annoying. Then somebody let me shoot theirs. That's all it took.

V

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I would have to agree that if somebody is looking for a Z7 in that draw length and can have it now or wait for one to be ordered in for them it will disappear pretty quickly. They hold value better than other brands bows, just look at what MQ1s, LXs, Switchbacks, etc. are going for compared to what they cost new at the time they came out.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
its not just with mathews its with all of the companys i know alot of people that dont shoot the bow they just buy it because someone shoots one

·
Registered
862 Posts
Marketing sells... period. I don't care if your product really is the best or not, marketing sells to the vast majority of the consumers. Companies that market well are the ones that thrive.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Had a Mathews until I left it along the roadside last year by accident. Good thing it was a 10 yr old FX (bought from a HPA member). Now shooting a Martin and like it just fine. Todays tech. makes so many of these bows so close in comparison... Just shoot some and if they fit, they'll kill anything you want to fling an arrow at!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Yeah, ironically when I bought my first new setup in over 10 years 2 years ago I shot everything. I mean EVERYTHING. Came down to the Switchback, Martin Firecat, and Hoyt (Ultratech I believe, or something like that). I own the Martin. The Matthews was not head and shoulders above it as I thought it would be. The Hoyt didn't even compare to be honest. Haven't shot this year's products but I would say that when I bought my Firecat it was of equal quality, comfort, and consistancy to the bigger name manufacturers. But...several hundred $$$ cheaper. I couldn't be happier. But I also wouldn't knock anyone for shooting a Matthews as they were definitely fun to shoot. I was actually really disappointed with the Hoyt line as I was shooting an old Hoyt Invader prior and was kind of hoping to stick with Hoyt.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
I was looking for a new bow a few years ago. My bow was a Hoyt Ranger or something like that, a package bow, nothing fancy.

Got all wrapped up in the new Hoyt Something-Tec line, and was about to drop a grand on a new set-up. Thinking this was gonna be so much faster, etc.

Went to the pro shop, told a guy to set the bow for the same weight my bow was set at, and shot one of my arrows. On my bow first, then the new bow.

New bow was 8 fps faster. That's it. Almost 8 years newer, and only 8 fps faster.

Saved myself a grand.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Amen to the post about marketing! Just think back a few years at all the archery "gadgets" that have come out with alot of hype and advertising and ended up being junk. It looked good and seemed like a good idea but ended up being a bust. Two or three years and they disappear having made a killing.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Asajoe1 said:
Amen to the post about marketing! Just think back a few years at all the archery "gadgets" that have come out with alot of hype and advertising and ended up being junk. It looked good and seemed like a good idea but ended up being a bust. Two or three years and they disappear having made a killing.
+1

1 - 20 of 20 Posts