The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a few minutes to kill last night while my wife was doing some last minute Christmas shopping so I stopped by my favorite archery shop. One of the sales clerks & I were talking about the new bows. I told him I was only curious but asked him what models compare with my Switchback. Turns out he and I shoot the same bow and setup pretty much the same way. He asked if I shot the new Monster bow and I told him I wasn't interested in a double cam bow and that I heard a lot of negative things about the Monster. He surprised me by saying what I heard was basically true but I should try the new 7" brace height Monster. After checking my watch and seeing I still had a few minutes to kill, I took him up on his offer. I gotta tell ya...I was pleasantly surprised. He had it set at the exact same weight but it was a shorter draw length for me. I was really shocked at how easily it pulled back until I got to the "hump". Then it took just a little more effort and I was solidly at the wall. This was the first bow of the new year that felt better or the same as my Switchback. I can honestly say that if I had an extra $850 laying around the house, I probably would have gone home with it. Of course I would have had to go home first and then pick up my wife.

Merry Christmas everybody!!!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Re: Mathews Monster bow 7" brace height

I have not yet shot the new Monster 7 but I did purchase a Monster this year. It was my first purchase of a Mathews bow and I did not buy it for the name. After shooting numerous bows by different manufacturers (14 to be exact) this is what felt best to me. They are not for everyone - but I love mine!

·
Registered
3,524 Posts

I had a Z7 on order until I shot the Monster 7. I did not like the first generation Monster bows; harsh draw and very unbalanced in my hands. I brought my new M7 home just the other day

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I shot a matthews m7 the other day and i wasnt impressed. For the money i expected them to feel and shoot so much better than the competition. This is the second matthews bow ive shot that didnt feel right to me. It released very smooth and ultra quiet but there seemed to be a weird sticking point at about 85-90% draw. It didnt feel comfortable at all to me, especially if you had to hold it back at full draw for any extended period of time, which i frequently do when i am hunting. The guy then had me shoot the new Bear model out this year. To be honest, i really was not interested in trying out a bear bow but to my surprise i was very impressed that bear made a bow that drew and released as well as this one did. Im not saying that im gonna buy a bear bow, but i can tell you that the bear did feel more comfortable than the matthews imho. Just to let you know, they also sell hoyt and pse there as well.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts

I shot the monster and the Z7 last night. For me I actually liked Z7 just a bit more. The monster did not have as smooth of draw as the Z7. Once you got in the valley it had a real sudden let off till you hit the wall. The sudden let off actually caused the arrow to fall out the prong rest so you had to be real smooth on a draw with that type of rest. Both did not have any hand torque and the monster fell back into my hand after the shot instead of forward like most bows.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts