The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shooting a Mathews Drenalin, 29" DL. and just cranked up the draw weight to 70lb. It shot at 285 fps with a carbon express Mayhem 250.

My question is this. At 70lbs should i move my arrow up to a 350 or more?
I just bought new arrows last year, so i have a ton of 250's right now. If 70lbs is too much, should I lower it down to 65 or 60 lbs?

Also, right now i've been using QAD exodus Broadheads. Killed a bunch of deer with them, however the more deer i shoot, the more i'm finding I'm really not getting good blood trails. Even this year i shot a buck at 15 yds took lung and heart. the exit was right in the "armpit" of far shoulder. Literally at times was tracking "drops" of blood.
So i was thinking of going to something bigger like Rage hypodermic or Grim Reaper whitetail specials. Problem is i think i'm getting about 64 ft-lbs of KE.

Would either of those broad heads have issues with that set up??

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
You don't say what the draw weight is now? It may be true that you could be under splined at 70? If I had alot of the 250s and they work I would stick with my current set-up. 285 fps is plenty fast and you may not gain as much speed as you think?

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
As Asajoe said. If they are working well at the new draw weight, stick with the 250's. Your set up is right at the border of both arrow weights.
I shot easton axis 400's out of my Drenalin set at 70lbs with a 27.5" draw length. The axis are slightly heavier than the 250 mayhems at 9.1 gr/in. I use 100 gr. G5 Stryker and had great arrow flight out to 60 yds. I've had great success on both Whitetails and Elk.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts