The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Agreed on people being off. I was unfortunate this year and couldn’t go. The other thing is Maryland is crazy populated with turkey.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Wow whopping 4300 turkeys is a record?
Used to hunt western Maryland 20 years ago. Had few private properties. Turkeys were pretty plentiful.
Tried hunting it agin 3-4 years ago and heard maybe 4 birds all season long. Definitely not prime hunting. Maybe better to the east but then again SE pa has low numbers so not sure if that be the case.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Probably because a bunch were trapped in western Maryland and spread out all over the eastern shore. I wish they would come take some back. Totally sucks watching 20 to 40 birds and multiple bunches walk by when deer hunting. Happens every year on our 350 acres in Dorchester county.

·
Super Moderator
1,738 Posts
I use to take a weeks vacation and hunt western MD before our season opened. We would camp out and hunt all week and have a blast. The population was high in those years and we would usually tag out when we hunted. As the years went by the areas became more popular and very overcrowded still we did okay. I stopped going when my kids started hunting and we had the youth season start here. I took my son down one year for the youth and it poured all day but we heard one gobble. I have talked to some who still go and they say the population is down just like here. I wouldnt throw out a chance to go again though Im sure I could get on one and give him a try.

On a side note I met 2 brothers from Thurmont who hunted there and they hunted deer way back in the late 70's. They got into turkey hunting later on. They said one spring they were just camping in late march and they heard what they thought were West Virginians yodeling to each other on the ridgetops. They finally learned later those were turkeys gobbling. LOL.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts