The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if I can buy a Maryland hunting lic. at cabela's in hamburg, pa.? For next season.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Why worry about next year..Your in camphill go down route 15 to frederick when you need it..You may be able to get it online..

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Yep - register on the Compass site and buy it on line.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Fishing licenses as well for anyone interested. Print them out once the transaction is done.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
www.dnr.state.MD.us

The license page is a bit tough to navigate to but you'll just have to pick thru it til you find it. Not sure if you can get next year's yet though.
I was told if your purchasing a Maryland license for the first time you have to complete a hunter education course and attend an in person field day. Anyone know if this is true?

·
Registered
12,767 Posts
I was told if your purchasing a Maryland license for the first time you have to complete a hunter education course and attend an in person field day. Anyone know if this is true?
Hunter Education and Safety Requirement

To hunt or purchase a hunting license state law requires:

• Presentation of a Certificate of Competency in Firearms and Hunting Safety (required of all first time hunters), or
  • Certification that you held a hunting license issued prior to July 1, 1977, or
  • Certification that you hunted on private property prior to July 1, 1977, and were legally exempt from purchasing a hunting license, or
  • Certification that you are purchasing a nonresident 3-day license and will only hunt waterfowl.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I have always purchased my Md. License on line but MAKE SURE you can print it out .because they dont send it out like Pa. I am sure that you dont have to attend any in service day .

·
Registered
159 Posts
Like others have said purchase on line and make sure you have your hunter safety course #.
With that said, do you have private land to hunt or you gonna venture onto public. Private land or leases are hard to come by and if your gonna venture onto public during first day firearms be prepared to stare at a pumpkin patch soon as daylight comes.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hunter Education and Safety Requirement

To hunt or purchase a hunting license state law requires:

• Presentation of a Certificate of Competency in Firearms and Hunting Safety (required of all first time hunters), or
  • Certification that you held a hunting license issued prior to July 1, 1977, or
  • Certification that you hunted on private property prior to July 1, 1977, and were legally exempt from purchasing a hunting license, or
  • Certification that you are purchasing a nonresident 3-day license and will only hunt waterfowl.
[/QUOTE
Like others have said purchase on line and make sure you have your hunter safety course #.
With that said, do you have private land to hunt or you gonna venture onto public. Private land or leases are hard to come by and if your gonna venture onto public during first day firearms be prepared to stare at a pumpkin patch soon as daylight comes.
Public land. I’m sure it will be crowded. I’m looking more toward muzzleloader and archery.
I have always purchased my Md. License on line but MAKE SURE you can print it out .because they dont send it out like Pa. I am sure that you dont have to attend any in service day .
Huh. I got a DNRid card but it says I have to go to an in person field day to purchase license. Oh well I will continue to investigate.

·
Registered
12,767 Posts
Public land. I’m sure it will be crowded. I’m looking more toward muzzleloader and archery.

Huh. I got a DNRid card but it says I have to go to an in person field day to purchase license. Oh well I will continue to investigate.
If you have a Pa Hunter Ed cert or held any hunting license prior to 1977, you are good to go. I'm assuming you are a Pa resident.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Buy online and save it to your computer and print it out as needed. Also I send a copy once downloaded to my email so I have a copy on my phone.
You’ll also need to download and print out game tags, which need a confirmation number once you harvest a turkey/deer to complete the tag.

Also unlike PA (but like most other states) you need written permission to hunt private land. There is a required form online for this too.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I've bought MD licenses each year for over 20 years now, before you could get them online. The first time I went, they asked for my hunter ed number. My hunter ed card has no number, gave them my social sec. # and got my license. Never asked for it again. Never had to do an in person field day, or even knew of such.

+1 on WRITTEN PERMISSION. Been checked several times. Have the slips ON YOU at all times, not in the truck. Also, you need permission slips for SOME public lands, which are in the "book" which they don't provide. You can find the MD hunting booklet online and fill out the slip. The public lands slip doesn't need signed by anyone from MD, you just put your info on it and print it out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts