The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been involved with archery a wee bit over 2 years and I have my vertical compound and crossbow equipment bought and payed for; my budget for a traditional is $200 (preferably as a kit) and saw a Martin Jaguar recurve take down in a Sportsmans Guide flyer for $199 (as a kit) & $149 (bow w/o kit)...

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=548939

is this a good setup to get for recreational use (and possibly hunting)? thanks

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
I loved my Martin Hatfield, but at 60lbs., I couldn't practice with it enough after shoulder reconstruction to keep proficient.

I am not familiar with the Jaguar, but noticed that it has a metal riser. I personally like the look and feel of a wood riser.
I would think that the Bear bows advertised on this site are better quality and within your price range.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'll second what Jim said. There's just too many people who have had limb failure with this bow. I'd say you'd be taking a risk.

·
Banned
462 Posts
Well I must have got a lucky one....I have had no problems or complaints about mine. Although I did swap out the rest and put a new string on it! I wouldnt hesitate purchasing another one and plan to have it in the tree on several occasions this fall!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
there are alot better bows out there other then the jaguar,take a look at the samick line,much better construction.don't get me wrong martin makes good bows,but the jaguar seems to need more improvement before i'd think about purchasing one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just got started in Traditional archery myself. I went with the Samick Spikeman but I had many people recommend the Samick Stingray ($209.00) or the Samick Red Stag ($169.00) I have heard nothing but good things about Samick Bows and the overall consensus is they are "[censored] good bows for the money" I'm very happy with my Spikeman and am seriously considering the Stingray as a second bow. Based on all the extremely positive feedback, with the exception of the one or two buy american responses, It just didn't make sense to pay so much money for a Hatfield when I could get 2 brand new Samicks for the price of one Hatfield and by all accounts get a bow that was every bit as good. Plus I was getting a New bow for cheaper than I could get a used Hatfield for. Not buying a quality, cost effective Samick just didn't make sense to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts