The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got home this evening, I had a brandy new copy of the cabelas archery catelog waiting for me. As I was thumbing through it, I found a Martin Cheetah that caught my eye. I am in the market for a new bow at a decent price that dosent kill the wallet. And I see they have it on sale for 350 or so. Was wondering if anyone out there is shooting that bow. What their thoughts are on the bow.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I owned a Martin. It was a great bow at an even better price! I don't think you can go wrong with it, but shoot it first to see if you like it.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that's a problem.....nowhere around here to try them out

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have a cheetah. I stopped using my four runner for it. It's smooth and forgiving and fast. A great bow in my opinion. I shot 190 lb 8 point with mine last year. made me a happy boy!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has anyone heard of any limb cracks....was reading on archery talk last night....and a couple people mentioned about limbs cracking...it sounds like a great bow....I know what I want to out in it....

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ive had mine for 4 years now, never had any problem what so ever, love mine light weight 30in axel to axel great for tight shots, if i get a new one it willbe a martin

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steelhead....where did u get yours at?

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
The cheetah is designed as a low price point bow. The quality is of course going to suffer a little from the fact that it is lower priced. Fit and finish, and of course the quality of the limbs will suffer first. This is why you hear about limbs splitting. However, look up any bow, besides Elite, and maybe new PSE models, and you will hear about limb problems. They happen. To be quite honest, you are probably much better off looking for something used. Archerytalk is a great place to look. Check their classified section for last years models and maybe even two year old bows. You will be able to find like new bows in the $400 price range that were $800+ brand new. The quality and performance of many of these bows will be much much better, at the same price. Let me know if you need any ideas of models to check out as a place to start. I also want to add that if you do purchase a bow from cabelas...do NOT let them set it up. Do NOT let them touch it. Take it right to your local pro shop. Working at Lancaster Archery Supply for 2 years, I saw some crazy stuff come from cabelas. Again, do NOT let them do anything to it.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What about the turbohawk by Hoyt?

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Turbohawk is a great model at a pretty good price. Hoyt has always made great bows at every price point, and I do like that one. However, I would still look for a barely used one, or a leftover from someones shop on AT. You will save yourself so much money. Also look into the PSE Bowmadness line, the Mission by Mathews line, a used Bowtech Allegiance, or used Elite Z28. Elite now offers lifetime warranties to every owner. Cant beat that.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I've been shopping for the next bow, and I notice that Martin has more than a couple of years experience in this niche price market. That's good to know.

Some bow companies market bows above your price comfort and you live with it. If a company can fit your market with a good product, you can take that. And you have to change companies, if that's how the market goes. And you always want to have a tech nearby, regardless of where you get the bow.

In the end, it's your dough.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
If you are interested in the Cheetah, go to Dicks Sporting Goods (DSG) since the name will probably be blanked out and shoot the Martin Bonehunter there. It is the same bow. They had it on sale for $299 and that included a fiber optic site, Nap quicktune 360 capture rest, peep site and STS. I bought late last fall and only shot it a couple times but like it so far.

The rest is gone though. Don't let anyone at any of the chain stores touch the bow. Get it set-up at your pro shop if you can't do things yourself. I was re-serving the peep site in after I was done shooting.

I researched it before I bought it and it had good reviews for that price point.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Which dicks did you go to that let you shoot one of the bows?

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Fletchshedder said:
Which dicks did you go to that let you shoot one of the bows?
I ended up buying at the Hempfield DICKS and they let me shoot it before I bought but, the manager said I seemed serious about buying so...

The Century III DICKS was going to let me shoot it as well but, when I went to the range, I noticed the Nap capture rest was broke (obviously a returned bow)and he was going to let me shoot it with the carbon arrow resting on a shard of sharp metal. Could have turned out bad if I would have let one loose. I said no thanks.

You just have to be careful and make sure you are getting a new in the box bow and take everything to a pro shop to get it set up or do the majority of the set-up yourself if you are capable.

The draw length modules are nice on the Cheetah/Bonehunter. You don't have to put it in a bow press to change them out and you get all them with the bow purchase so when/if you go to sell, the buyer can adjust it to them if they need to.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am going to give the dicks a call in hempfield and see if I can come out and shoot one this weekend, only if it is 3 arrows. Thanks for the information

1 - 16 of 16 Posts