The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my little bud made a dream of his and mine come true when he bagged his first buck, a four pointer, at 8:30 Monday. He usually shoots a Rossi .223 but we had some last minute accuracy issue that left me frustrated and looking for a solution on the afternoon before the opener. The best solution with short notice was to switch guns and we settled on the old Savage Model 99 30-30 that was my late grandfather's, and coincidentally the same gun I killed my first buck with many years ago. Accuracy problems solved and confidence high, we headed out before dawn Monday. After seeing only a red fox and hearing some close shooting, we were beginnig to have doubts, but finally a lone deer appeared picking his way across the fencerow headed our direction. I quickly identified it as a legal buck for him, and I felt him start shaking as he closed the distance. At 75 yds, he entered a thick patch of brush in front of us, and we waited (not so patiently) for him to emerge on our side. Finally we glimpsed the buck coming thru the thicket, and when he cleared the edge and stepped into the open I asked if he was ready. He nodded, and a moment later I whistled lightly. The buck stopped and looked and a moment later the rifle roared and the fat little buck collapsed in his tracks from a perfect shot thru the neck, exiting the chest. He was so excited, I made him sit another ten minutes in the tree to calm down as I was fearful he couldn't safely climb down at the time. Finally, when his heart rate approached something near normal, we climbed down to admire the buck and celebrate. What a fantastic hunt! To top it off, when we took him to the CWD check point, there was a photographer from the Patriot News, and the family ended up on the cover of the Tuesday morning edition. So proud of my little hunting buddy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts