The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a Marlin lever gun that has a serial number with no JM or REP pre-fix. Made in New Haven, CT. Is it a JM or REP do ya think? I didnt know they were made without the pre-fix. Also do you think it is micro groove or Ballard rifling? Thank you.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Any marlin made prior to the move to Elion NY dont have letters in the serial # The GOOD marlins have all numbers in the serial and have a JM rollmark on the barrel ......The BAD marlins have an RM prefix in front of the serial# and dont have a JM rollmark on the barrel

I believe anything after 1953 was micro groove with the exception of some of the BIG BORE rifles

·
Registered
699 Posts
Where the barrel meets the receiver is where you want to look. On the left side is where Marlin stamped theirs with a "JM" If it was made by Remington it is stamped on the right side with "REP" I THINK Marlin used microgrooved barrels in their big bore rifles up to around 2000-2001. The one's I have seen were actually stamped on the barrel "Microgrooved"

·
Registered
427 Posts
If it is micro-groove the barrel will be marked so.

Subtract the first 2 numbers of the serial # and should have the year it was made.

Remington took over Marlin in 2007.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts