The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s everybody’s take on the Marlin .375 win they made for a handful of years? I guess in reality, what’s everyone’s take on the .375 win in general? Have a opportunity at a Marlin that’s like new. Really like the 70s/80s era of Marlins and specifically like the half tube magazine

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I had the Winchester 94 in 375. I never got over the fact that I sold that one. Great woods cartridge. Should have been more popular than it was

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
OK if you reload as finding ammo might be tough.I like the Marlins without the crossbolt safety.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Great deer and bear caliber, just be careful if you reload, I believe that's a Marlin 336 action and not as strong as the Marlin 1895 action.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Great deer and bear caliber, just be careful if you reload, I believe that's a Marlin 336 action and not as strong as the Marlin 1895 action.
The 1895 is weaker than the 336 action. It's the exact same action with more steel removed to provide clearance for the giant rim on the 45-70 case

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
The 1895 is weaker than the 336 action. It's the exact same action with more steel removed to provide clearance for the giant rim on the 45-70 case
Where did you find this information? I'd like to read it and know more about these 2 actions so I don't post wrong information.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Where did you find this information? I'd like to read it and know more about these 2 actions so I don't post wrong information.
Ranger Point Precision. They customize Marlin rifles and are a member on Marlinowners.com which is where I talk to them. But then I have a 336 and an 1895 and a Caliper so I didn't really need anyone to tell me that they're the same action.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Ranger Point Precision. They customize Marlin rifles and are a member on Marlinowners.com which is where I talk to them. But then I have a 336 and an 1895 and a Caliper so I didn't really need anyone to tell me that they're the same action.
Isn't the bolt face and bolt along with the chamber of the 45/70 larger? Therefore wouldn't it with stand higher pressures than the 30/30 and be able to handle heavier 375 loads? Not being smart here just trying to understand.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
No. It's the same bolt with the face opened up to accommodate the 45-70 and its giant rim. The rim is the reason they have to remove so much steel from the 336 action. The 444 allows them to retain most of the strength of the 336 action which is at it strongest in 30-30 and only gets weaker from there. Although I believe the 308 and 338 Marlin Express also permit the action to be its strongest since they're certainly no wider than the 30-30 rim.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
No. It's the same bolt with the face opened up to accommodate the 45-70 and its giant rim. The rim is the reason they have to remove so much steel from the 336 action. The 444 allows them to retain most of the strength of the 336 action which is at it strongest in 30-30 and only gets weaker from there. Although I believe the 308 and 338 Marlin Express also permit the action to be its strongest since they're certainly no wider than the 30-30 rim.
Thanks, now I know.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Also keep in mind the 30-30 operates at higher pressures than the 45-70 so the 1895 action doesn't need to be as strong as the 336

·
Registered
32 Posts
check out Buffalo Bores website. There was an excellent article on the 375 and the 38-55 winchesters. if i remember it said you can use 38-55 rounds which might be easier to find in the 375.

·
Registered
11,601 Posts
check out Buffalo Bores website. There was an excellent article on the 375 and the 38-55 winchesters. if i remember it said you can use 38-55 rounds which might be easier to find in the 375.
Don't think so... maybe the other way around?

From Chuckhawks:

The .375 Winchester is based on a high pressure version of the .38-55 case, with thicker case walls and a stronger head. Although its case is .065" shorter than the old .38-55 case, .375 Winchester brass can be used for .38-55 reloads if necessary. The reverse is not true, however.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts