The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a really nice Marlin 336A 35 Remington (lever) in trade.

I want to outfit this with a nice scope and I'm leaning toward a putting a Leupold (56550) Shotgun/Muzzleloader (2-7x, 33MM) on it. I currently have this same scope on a slug gun and I really like it.

Any thoughts or suggestions otherwise?

I was kicking around mounting a Cabelas Lever 3-9 on it (a lot cheaper than the Leupold), but the reviews I've read have been terrible.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
My dad has one, and he loves it! I've used it several times, and I think it's a great gun as well.

He just has a wide angle 3-9 refield scope on it. Wide angle on 3 power makes it a nice brush gun/scope combo.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
The Cabelas scope isn't one of their top of the line scopes they get from one of the bigger companies to make for them. You really can't go wrong with a Leupold And you picked probably the best power range for that particular caliber and application. The 2x gives you great field of view for quick or up close shots, while the higher power 7x gives you the ability to make a longer shot with confidence. I have those particular Leupolds in stock and I do give site members here a better price than what's on the my website. Just PM me if you are interested. Good luck!

Mac

·
Registered
555 Posts
I think you're on the right track with the Leupold in terms of size, but I really wouldn't go with the VX-I. If that is you're absolute ceiling in terms of price, I would spend less and get a 2-7 Vortex Diamondback which is quite widely accepted to be a better scope than the VX-I. If you can spend a little more (~$260 I believe) you can get a Vortex Viper 2-7 and have very nice optics.

Another scope worth considering is the Fullfield II 2-7, which I believe can be had for around $150.

I personally feel that a VX3 1.75-6 x 32 would be just about the ideal scope for a 336, but I understand that is quite a bit more than than the scopes you are considering.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I will second the fullfield II or even suggest a redfield 2x7. I have a weaver k2.5 on my 35 rem, but they are not that easy to come by or I would recomend one.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great input guys, I really appreciate it.

Can I ask...what is the knock on Leupold's VX-I, say versus the VX II or VX III?

Mackgee - I appreciate that offer, and may very well take you up on it.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
"Leupold Vari X II 1 x 4 power."

What WildTigerTrout said. I have one on my 336T and it's perfect for the rifle and the practical range of the cartridge.

Muab Dib

·
Registered
96 Posts
I absolutely love the .35 Remington, minimal kick and smacks deer hard. I suggest buying a bushnell banner (decent for the price) or any nikon or leupold.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
The difference between all of the lines is in the quality of glass that they use. Leupold will tell you directly that of their current models this is the only difference in them at all. New for this year, and I don't have any of these models yet, is the addition of finger click adjustments for both the VX-2 and the VX-1 line. The older VX-II and VX-I, which I do have at this time, are the same internally except they have coin adjustments verse the finger adjustments. This will make all three of the VX-1, VX-2, and VX-3 lines the same internally except for the glass quality. Just a note, but Leupold buys all of their glass from the same companies that supply Zeiss, Swarovski, and the other big name companies. The difference in design comes with the upgrade to the Mark 4 tactical line which is designed much more rugged internally and then in the VX-6 line as well. The VX-6 line is the flagship line for them now and takes the place of the VX-7's they had over the past few years. Hope this helps.

Mac

·
Registered
555 Posts
TrophyHunter11 said:
Can I ask...what is the knock on Leupold's VX-I, say versus the VX II or VX III?
The "knock" on the VX-I is the same as all of the lower priced Leupold products. They simply don't offer bang for your buck. It's not that they are terrible scopes. Leupold does not make a terrible scope. It is that you can buy better optics at a better price. This goes for the Rifleman and VX2 as well, even for the VX3 to some extent.

Leupold has four product lines in the sub $300 price range. I really don't understand why they do this, but it must work for them. Anyway, at the performance level offered by each of these products you can buy scope from the competition that will perform better and cost less.

·
Registered
555 Posts
mackgee said:
The difference between all of the lines is in the quality of glass that they use. Leupold will tell you directly that of their current models this is the only difference in them at all. New for this year, and I don't have any of these models yet, is the addition of finger click adjustments for both the VX-2 and the VX-1 line. The older VX-II and VX-I, which I do have at this time, are the same internally except they have coin adjustments verse the finger adjustments. This will make all three of the VX-1, VX-2, and VX-3 lines the same internally except for the glass quality. Just a note, but Leupold buys all of their glass from the same companies that supply Zeiss, Swarovski, and the other big name companies. The difference in design comes with the upgrade to the Mark 4 tactical line which is designed much more rugged internally and then in the VX-6 line as well. The VX-6 line is the flagship line for them now and takes the place of the VX-7's they had over the past few years. Hope this helps.

Mac
I believe that the internals on the VX3 are different from the lower product lines. The VX3 has twin bias spring erectors in addition to better glass and coatings.

Mac, will you be selling VX6 scopes?

·
Registered
51 Posts
have you given any thought to a set of peep sights,williams and skinner make some nice ones.I have a skinner peep along with a williams firesight front bead on a marlin 44.shoots great and carries like a dream.if your heart is set on a scope you cant go wrong with leupold 1x4 or 2x7

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
Yes, I'll have them on the site in a day or two. I'll be posting them here as well once I get some stuff finalized in the next day or two. According to the Leupold rep I talked to this morning all of the new for 2012 models will have the same internals. I also found that hard to believe but I was reassured by him that they now all share the same guts. The older VX-II and VX-I had a fiction based adjustment system verse the spring system, according to them as of this morning. I'm still having a hard time biting off on that one, but that's what he said.

I'll keep you informed, probably going to run a sale on the VX-6's right outta the box but I'll let you know. Thanks for the interest.

Mac

1 - 16 of 16 Posts