The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i asked about the guide gun what about the 1894 in 44 magnum ive killed deer with my ruger pistol, this miught be a great gun for drives or thick stuff. plus i could shoot it all year to be very proficient with it. lack of recoil and plenty of good factory loads and reloads . please chime in thanks

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I have a 1894 in 44mag. I absolutly love it. Mine is a pre-cross bar saftey. I don't really like the cross-bar safties. I started with a 336 with no safty thus why. Just what I'm used too. So, big lever fan to begin with. I use it most bear hunting and we do nothing but drives. It's short, fast, holds a lot of round, in a hard hitting caliber, and the weight is reasonable. I have see thru rings mounts on it incase of very close shots and doing these drives it's happened before. The recoil ehhh I wouldn't say it dosen't have any recoil. It's not a lot, but it ain't a little. Mine shoots winchester super X 240's, and Federal Fusion 240's very well. It does not like the Hornady lever revolutions. They just will not group. I can usuallyhold about 3" groups at 100yds. A hundred yards is the farthest I would stretch this round.

I also carry a Ruger Super Redhawk in 44mag. so it is very nice only carring 1 kind of ammo for both firearms.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
I often look at them on Gun Broker. I'd like to get one, as I also have a Super Redhawk, and would like to have a companion gun. I like it in stainless!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Also got one, pre-safety. Works like Ace says. It likes factory and my Hornady reloads. It hates the ReveLution stuff, no groups at all.

It carries light. I had the high see thru mounts but they required to much head off the stock. I now have a 1-4x Leuople in flip over mounts, and added a sling swivel to the magazine tube.

Best shot was a 120 yds 6 point off hand while it was walking slow thru the laurel.

It also works well on boar, and I'm sure it is fine for black bear too.

Nothing to not like! Probably all one would need for PA big game hunting ( I never draw an elk tag LOL)

·
Registered
889 Posts
The 1894 Marlin is one of my favorite rifles. Any cartridge will do. I have two 44 mags. and one 45 Colt. I would like to find one in 32-20 or 25-20, and I could also easily be talked into one of the 218 Bee's if I found one at a decent price. Shop around. you can find one with decent wood if you take your time. I just bought a pretty nice 44 magnum. It has some pretty nice wood on it.

I like to cast my own bullets for the 1894. And they tend to shoot pretty well for me. Get one. They will do so much more than what people think they will do. Tom.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hogghead pretty gunif you wouldnt mind could you pm me and tell me what was paid so i have an idea what to pay i priced a new one today, thanks

·
Registered
889 Posts
No need for PM. I bought it from Kittery's in Maine for $475(total price-included shipping and transfer fee). I got a real good deal on it. But I did shop for about three months before I found it. I scanned the internet daily. I also listed on a couple of forums what I was looking for. And a fellow on a different forum send me a PM with the location.

Right now I am looking for a 32-20 or a 25-20 for a raccoon rifle. So if you run across one in your search-please send me a link.

I just saw a nice Marlin 1894 yesterday for $375. But I can not remember where I saw it. If I see it again I will send you a link.

There was a pretty nice one on this forum for sale a while back. I contacted the guy, but he did not get back with me. I will buy one at any time if it is a good deal. Tom.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts