The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a hike with the family up off goldmine road near boxcar trail. We were no more than 250 yards into the hike and our Shorthair got nailed by a trap less than a foot off the main trail. She started crying and it scared the heck out of everyone including myself. At first I thought she may have been hit by a rattler, but I got to her quick and realized what was going on. She walked away and kept right on going. We ran into the trapper setting the rest of his traps all less than a foot off the trail where numerous people were out walking their dogs. I realize it's state game lands and they are for hunting and trapping, but this is one of the most used trails in the area. I'd be the first to admit I know nothing about the laws of trapping. Is it legal to set traps that close to a trail and do they have to be marked with some sort of ribbon or something? Even if it is legal it's probably not the smartest place to be placing traps.

·
Super Moderator
5,026 Posts
Traps only need to have a tag attached to identify ownership. Flagging traps would lead to a lot of stolen steel. As far as trapping on SGLs, that's what they're they're for...for hunters and trappers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed and I have nothing against trapping, but hunters and trappers still need to use common sense. I know most western states have a 50 foot setback for traps set off trails... I just didn't know if that was the case in PA.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
CampTBW said:
Agreed and I have nothing against trapping, but hunters and trappers still need to use common sense. I know most western states have a 50 foot setback for traps set off trails... I just didn't know if that was the case in PA.
no set back when trapping , only safety zones and a trail isn't that

·
Registered
503 Posts
Problem is that the trails and dirt lane are highways for coyotes, i.e. best places for sets. My friend was running his dog up there and ran into maybe the same trapper, who warned him about the traps.

·
Registered
523 Posts
When I ran beagles and at times we as a group may have 7-8 dogs It sure was fun back then. Any traps set in cover or along a path they should know we hunted like right next to cover or in a ticket we would just unset the trap and leave them be. If it was on privet ground would set off trap place in tree. I always set in open areas or about 50 ft. from brush, bench in field, maybe like a bale set in the field. They will travel to the set. Trail set always in odd places where I hoped no one would be running dogs. Trapping a game-lands where there's dog running is just a waste of time, why would set where you would have a chance of catching a dog and having to remake the set ?? Most fur-bearers travel many miles a day so I say try to pick a smart place.

·
Banned
1,525 Posts
Hoping the dog was on a leash and not running free, with the PA leash laws. But you probably had the common sense to figure that out. Non hunters and trappers should be aware of the seasons, when they are going on the SGLs to avoid any issues.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Oh your dog is smart enough to know flagging ribbons mean there is a trap set there? Really? Flagging wouldn't have prevented this, free running your dog after a legal trapping season would have. Not a shot or a jab, just the facts, your dog is a canine and prob smelled a lure intended for canines...should I keep typing or do you understand now?

·
Registered
749 Posts
just saying here..You broke the law more than the trapper..

#1 leash law in PA
#2 you cant mess with a trappers trap even to let your own dog out of it(i agree with what you did just letting you know the law is all).

he could have set those traps right in the middle of the trail and been 100% legal..not smart but legal.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Teddy (punchie) said:
When I ran beagles and at times we as a group may have 7-8 dogs It sure was fun back then. Any traps set in cover or along a path they should know we hunted like right next to cover or in a ticket we would just unset the trap and leave them be. If it was on privet ground would set off trap place in tree. I always set in open areas or about 50 ft. from brush, bench in field, maybe like a bale set in the field. They will travel to the set. Trail set always in odd places where I hoped no one would be running dogs. Trapping a game-lands where there's dog running is just a waste of time, why would set where you would have a chance of catching a dog and having to remake the set ?? Most fur-bearers travel many miles a day so I say try to pick a smart place.
Perhaps you should not have ran your dogs where you should have known a trapper would set his traps! What you did was illegal.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The dog was leashed and not free running. She's less than a year old and we are trying to train her. You know technically he wasn't supposed to be digging holes of any size on state game lands because it clearly states you cannot dig on state game lands... Should I keep typing or do you understand now? Also, there is no closed season for dog training... should I keep typing or do you understand now? I wasn't trying to start an argument or anything I was merely asking the rules.

·
Registered
39 Posts
you can not dig plants on gameland. Turn the rule however you want. Bottom line is the land is there to share. You may not have come here for an argument, but you came here a little ticked off. what comments did you expect. I am sure the trapper didnt mind you walking your dog there, but you seem put off that he was trapping there. Again, you both have rights to the activities you were doing, but I would advise if it bothers you to find an alternative. The trapper was legally abiding on land designated for this activity. There are not too many places left for the public hunter or trapper and there are many alternatives to where a person can train/exercise their dogs.

·
Registered
436 Posts
"I realize it's state game lands and they are for hunting and trapping, but this is one of the most used trails in the area."

used by non-hunters and trappers, yes, and its most certainly open to them as well, but fact is, that financial support for conservation issues like come from hunting/trapping licenses. without financial support of hunters and trappers, things like the state game lands wouldnt be possible, so while its definitely open to all, keep in mind who provides the means for it to be there.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
First off I trap and have a bird dog also my father has raised beagles for 50 years. Theres absolutely no reason to be upset with this trapper. He was doing everything legal and has every right to. Pretty sure his fur bearer tag he paid for gave him every right to use the gamelands for trapping. Not sure if I ever saw a hiking tag or even where to send the money for one. Like it was stated before marking a trap would be a invite to destroy it or steal it.

Also as far as not trapping a brush field cause someone might run rabbits there is pretty comical. As long as I have permission I'm setting. I'll keep setting on sign you keep trying to change travel patterns.

These attitudes get under my skin. If people understood how long we spend in the woods and just basically maintaining sets they'd be shocked. But they wanna tell us an acceptable distance to set from where they wanna walk.

" Even if it is legal it's probably not the smartest place to be placing traps. "

This may apply to the center of the parking lot or the paved rd you drove in on but not an access rd inside the state land

·
Banned
851 Posts
I try to set areas that I think people will be hunting later in the year when not many of them will be out. That being said thats just me being curteous. Trappers have just as much right to be there as hunters.

Two years ago I was checking a line probably close to a mile long and came acrossed one of my 1 3/4's with a leash tied around the jaws. I guess the guy wanted me to know that I had caught his dog! This was early January probably a half mile up the trail. Im sure he tried to yank the trap out, but sorry a wolf fang aint coming out!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
You said your dog walk away after as if nothing happened. Traps are designed to do just that. They hold the foot of the animal. Maybe you need to go with a Trapper when he uses his catchpole to release animals he does not wish to keep for one reason or another. You will see the animal run off as if nothing happened. I hunt with a Bird Dog and started Trapping this year, things happen. If legal, all is fine.

·
Registered
626 Posts
What are the Pa leash laws? And how would they come into play in this instance

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
one and only warning....this is a trapping forum.

the original poster came here and asked a question in regards to laws about traps being marked.

the question is was answered. traps do NOT need to be marked and the traps sound legally set.

now the original poster knows to be more careful in trapping season with his dog.

keep the post civil. many of you know I a laid back easy going mod..id like to keep it that way. posts like these get heated and personal very quickly. I understand it or I would lock the thread now.

I trap and I also run a coon dog and also walk my German Shepard through the woods...I see all sides...

like was said...those trails are corridors for predators...trap sounds like it was legally set...

the OP was with a shorthair..AKA bird dog...said it was on a leash (not that that has ANY bearing on ANYTHING) said he was training it. There is NO closed season for dog training anymore. Heck..its still bird season I do believe?

both the trapper and the OP sound like everyone was on the up-n-up...just bad luck the dog got pinched..back in the fur days you probably couldnt run a dog without it getting pinched...not nearly as bad anymore...

sorry to hear the dog got pinched...my advice would be to find some private land if possible till trapping season is over...

please...keep the post civil...I love a GOOD discussion...no harm in a discussion and educating others that dont know the ins and outs about trapping...but no need to jump on the OP or get personal with it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts