The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you guys go out and mark muskrat holes prior to season? I was told a gentleman on a public stream (that I was to first) that it was illegal. I came home and looked in my book and could not find anything.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
"Marking" a muskrat den as 'yours' would have no legal standing. If another trapper has permission to trap the property and he or she gets there first, they can set anywhere they like, irregardless of any "markings."

Marking muskrat dens is an old time custom in some areas. I have not even heard that term in years and years. To the best of my knowledge, it never was a law or anything like that.

I suppose where several gentlemen trappers shared a stream they may have honored each others markers.

Personally I never would do that. I would not mark a den or honor another trappers marker. I would simply set my traps when I arrive and be done with it.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Saves time the morning of setting. If you mark them before time, you can take your time and really look for den entrances. Everyone has their ways of doing things.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It's not illegal, but it's not advisable especially on public land. Simply because you are telling ppl my set is here. I prescout creeks and woods and fields and such, When you prescout just focus, you will find twigs, rocks, trees, bends and such. Those images should be locked in your brain. You could prescout several times. But I would suggest you dont advertise to other trappers the work you have done. Most trappers are straight up, but I said most. GL to you Moss

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
if it is water you can.read your regs!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts