The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you mark your sets and cable restraints so they are easier to find, especially in the snow?

Cables are almost impossible to find and while a hay set sticks out as a big lump in the snow, flat sets and standard dirt holes in a field disappear in just a few inches of snow.

I would like an easy way to mark my sets and cables without doing something that will make a canine turn and run the other way.

Any help or advice appreciated.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
whats a field . none of them around here .
i sometimes hang a ribbon along logging roads to show me a general area . not so sure it wouldn't draw unwanted attention in most spots .

·
Registered
53 Posts
I mark all my cables with reflective material on a limb near by. Makes it very easy to check at 5am but not so easy in the daylight.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are mostly in private farm areas so I'm not worried about theft as much as I am about spooking the animals. We had three bobcat sets snowed under a couple days ago and we knew where they were because we had cassette tape flagging near them and it still took us 20 minutes to find them!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am thinking with regular canine sets like flat sets and dirt holes to start walking ten steps from the set and putting in a 3/8" fiberglass fence post. Hopefully it won;t scare anything off. I have also used corn stalks on the past but they sometimes collapse under the snow and get lost anyway.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Memory for a land line but there are certain situations where I will use florescent flagging. Its everywhere up here due to the drilling and it doesn't draw the attention it once did.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts