The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am strongly considering taking a trip to GA to camp and hunt hogs in a few weeks.

There are so many options on where to go that it's overwhelming.

I have my location narrowed down to Altamaha or Chickasawatchee WMA. I am also considering Ft Stewart, but I don't know if this is practical because the gun registration requirements are pretty inconvenient for someone who is not local.

Has anyone here hunted any of these locations? I would appreciate any input.

If anyone would like to join me I would not mind having a partner.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I would highly suggest the WMA's along the Altamaha (Townsend, Altamaha, Griffin Ridge, Big Hammock). I work the Altamaha and Chickasawhatchee very often and see lots of hogs on both. Chickasawhatchee is very good as well but receives much more pressure.

The best way to access WMA's on the Altamaha is by river. My buddy and his brother in law just went down there over the weekend of January 12th and 13th and killed 3 but could have had quite a few more. I was planning on going but ended up with tonsillitis. I think rifles are permitted from March 1st-15th this year. We have finally been getting some rain as well so the hog sign should pick up for a nice spot and stalk hunt.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Used to see a lot of hog sign on Pine Log WMA when I lived there. Saw several large groups of pigs over the years. Not sure what the hunt opportunities are for them there though.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestion G3. My research shows Pl is one of the better areas in that part of the state, but overall hog numbers are better further south and near the coast.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts