The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
I will be another week or so before we start but we only make about five gallons or so a year. Let us know how the sap runs over the next few days.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I was gonna give another week or so myself. I don't expect to make more than a gallon of syrup myself.

·
Registered
12,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am tapping my black walnuts again this year. The syrup from them is really good too, real buttery sweet and very yellow.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Started back during second week of January here in Beaver County. To date, we probably have 1/2 of our 4,000 trees tapped.

·
Registered
12,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
smitz8500 I don't use spiles, but soda bottles and clear plastic tubing. See my description under the spiles thread

·
Registered
53 Posts
Dunno where you're located smitz, but our part-time crew is tapping 5 days a week, weather permitting, in Brady's Run Park in Beaver County. We welcome anyone who wants to lend a hand and we'll even feed you lunch! Just be prepared to climb steep hills while packed down like a mule. PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Mr YUK
Thanks for the offer but Im in washington county near green county
As much as Id like to check it out its kinda far to drive
Plus us southerens won't cross more than one river unless its a medical emergency...lol

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Im gonna start on Monday, Ill be running about 50 traditional buckets, and then some 5 gallon buckets with tubing.... ..I use all plastic spiles....

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I am tapping my black walnuts again this year. The syrup from them is really good too, real buttery sweet and very yellow
What is your sap to syrup yield out of the walnuts?

·
Registered
12,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I never figured it out. Probably about the same as maples. So far I have made only about a half gallon of walnut syrup a year. According to a book I have, Maples, Walnuts, Hickory, Sycamore and Birches all yield syrup producing sap. The Birch sap doesn't run until much later in the spring though.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
I think the Birch ratio is about 100:1.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
Sycamore ? That's interesting. Sycamore are a dime a dozen around here, and grow very large here in wet areas. Wonder what the flavor is like ?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just an update...weather finally warmed up enough to melt off the ice and get things running here yesterday. First round of collecting brought in 3000 gallons of sugar water. Started cooking this morning and collected another 1000 gallons this afternoon. Hope this is an early sign of a good season.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I finally got started today and made about 2 gallons. The next couple of days look promising for another boil monday or tuesday.

·
Registered
53 Posts
We converted from wood to oil last year. I posted some pics of our evaporator in another thread. Currently, RO is just a bit outside of our budget.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts