The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try making there own. This is something else I would love to try and make. Im going for it this year. I think when we start getting freezing nights and thawing days im going to start taping some sugar maple trees. Any info on this would also be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
183 Posts
I did this many years ago. Am considering doing it again this year.

The only advice is to have a good heat source. Some use wood, some use propane or natural gas if you get it for free from your property. You'll want to do this outside since you'll be boiling off a lot of water and will have lots of steam.

About 40 gallons of sap will make about 1 gallon of syrup. Keep an eye on it and mix it. If you let it go when it starts to become syrup you don't want to burn it. Trial and error usually helps.

I've used large stainless steel pots before. Never really wanted to make enough to buy or rent an evaporator. I believe they cost about $5k.

You can tap a large tree 3 times. You'll get a lot of sap from one tree so be ready and prepared so you can keep up with the flow.

Check out some vids on YOU Tube if you need help.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Call your local cooperative extension office. They usually have how-to publications for backyard producers. They probably can hook you up with a contact in your state Maple Syrup Producers association. There are usually places that sell maple taps along with the other maple paraphenalia. You can use clean 5 gallon buckets to collect. Keep a cover over the bucket to keep out mice and bugs (generally don't improve the flavor).

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
GYTR said:
About 40 gallons of sap will make about 1 gallon of syrup. Keep an eye on it and mix it. If you let it go when it starts to become syrup you don't want to burn it. Trial and error usually helps.
That amazed me when I first learned it. My buddy's dad up in Maine makes his own. Sent me a half gallon for Christmas. He even built his own sugar shack for boiling everything, has fold out window up top for steam, etc.

I'll see if I can get some pictures.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have been mapling for about 5 years now. It is an addiction watch out. I have a regular sugar house with cupola and all. It sure is fun. With the unusually warm weather we had here of couple of weeks ago I tapped my trees and made about three gallons. It was way too early to tap but I have a new set-up this year and got antsy. Looking to make 40 or 50 gallons this year. PM me if you like for more info.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Anyone near the Poconos interested in learning about Maple Syrup can visit the Sugar Shack sponsored by the Monroe County Conservation District. This year's public day is March 6, 2010. The 'sugarbush' is inside the Meesing Nature Center in the Delaware State Forest. Follow this link to learn more +/or to sponsor a maple tree.

http://www.mcconservation.org/downloads/...or%20e-mail.pdf

This group runs programs for school groups for several weeks each February and March and they do a good job explaining how the native americans and settlers utilized the Maple Sap and show you how to tap a tree and end w/ a few pancakes so you can sample their results. Last year they had a commercial producer there selling jugs but it is pricy. Still it is a good day, especially if you have children.

My cabin is nearby.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Here's the Pictures of my friend's dad in his sugar shack. Still waiting for outside pics. It's a neat little structure. The wood was all from a tree they had cut down. A guy came in with one of them trailer sawmills and did all the cutting. I think it cost him about 9 cents a board foot.

·
Registered
21,042 Posts
Neat picks JH.

I know one thing.... nothing but pure maple syrup for the Peppy family. Can't stand the regular corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup and sugar goop in a bottle.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
That's awesome... Our club has a bunch of guys that make it every year... It is really quite the job...

Neat to see it... And yummy too...

·
Registered
172 Posts
cope, I have been planning on getting a little backyard operation going this year. I found a little book called Backyard Sugarin by Rink Mann that I think explains a lot, at least it did to me that may help.

I'm just about done with getting stuff, but would like to find some deeper evaporation pans than the pans I've been able to scrounge up.

Good luck

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Finally got the pic from the front, here it is. Notice the maple bucket on the tree right out front. You gotta love a Mainer making his own syrup!!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I found some equipment on ebay i bidding on. I have an old wood stove in my shed may use for a burner , and weld up a stainless steel pan to evaporate sap in.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How thick is the stainless steel used to make the pan. I am lookin into making one to fit over my stove in my shed, and it will be over direct flame. Just wondering because of it warping.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I need a evaperation pan, can i just use a stainless steel roaster pan, it will be over direct flame.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
First time I made syrup I made the mistake of doing it in the kitchen.
Wallpaper trim came down and dirt streaks appeared on otherwise clean loking walls.
wife could of killed me.
Most amazing thing for me was after boiling countless hours and slowly becoming bored, all of a sudden you catch a whif of the sweet smell of maple.
After that you will be hooked.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK boys, now i got a little problem. What i thought were sugar maple trees in my yard turn out be some other kind of maple. Not sure what they are, but they are not sugar. Is there a good website that i can got to for some indepth maple tree id because i will have to try to id trees by there bark. This sticks, i thought i had all my ducks in a row and was ready for warmer weather and now i dont have the trees. I will go over to my parents and find some in the woods, but now im not sure what to look for without the leaves. I'm lost! LOL

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
You can still use them if they are maples.
I have used them in the past. You just need to boil off more liquid to make syrup.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts