The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started boiling today, sap is running really well today. Anyone else making syrup?

·
Registered
78 Posts
hunnter said:
Started boiling today, sap is running really well today. Anyone else making syrup?
Kids and i started today with about 12 15 gal just now finishing up the last batch. How are you making out? Dutchman told me was goind to be ruff year idk just do enough for us

·
Registered
6 Posts
Boiling as I type this. I had tapped earlier this year and got a good amount done a few weeks ago. The trees are really running right now with this warm snap.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We boiled down 60 gallons yesterday. Ended up with one and a half gallons of syrup. Sent the kids out this morning before school, and we got another 50 gallons of sap last night. Will empty them out when I get home. Just hoping the weather doesn't get too warm this week, if it keeps running like this for the next couple of days we should have quite a bit by the end of the week.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm curious - Assuming some of you are just boiling down in a large stock pot, how much propane do you go through boiling?

Seems like it would be quite a bit. I have a 15 gallon pot I use to brew in, takes quite a bit of propane to boil off just 5 gallons of water & a lot of time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
We are using a stock pot to heat the sap on a small wood stove and fish fryer with propane to finish. I had a half tank that was on the smoker and didnt run out. We only did 25 or so gallons so far

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dusty, Here are those taps I sent the link for.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Having a heck of a time posting video from photobucket without sending an open link to my account. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
177 Posts
With the onset of our current warm spell here in SC PA, how long could I allow my sap sit in it's buckets before it is considered sour?

I collected on Monday morning. Then again today I collected roughly 3 gallons. It didn't look much different from my prior collections but I've read that sap sours quickly. it was 60+ degrees yesterday & low 40's this morning. Should I just dump today's collection?

·
Registered
78 Posts
The biggest trouble I had was the bugs seems ok but this is only 2nd year making syrup for us. Did you try it Dusty?

·
Registered
177 Posts
BigJob said:
The biggest trouble I had was the bugs seems ok but this is only 2nd year making syrup for us. Did you try it Dusty?
BigJob - no, I did not try the sap. I'll be boiling again this weekend, I'm inclined to just ditch the suspect sap.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I have a question about when you stop cooking down the sap? Is there any regulations dealing with the thickness?, especially if you are going to sell it? Guys that come down to deer hunt from Quebec brought a case of maple syrup this past year in cans, all writing is French. I assume it came from a grocery store? Anyway, it is extremely thin! I have had maple syrup made here in the states that was more like the usual corn syrup based bottles in the stores. This has the maple taste but you need to use alot of it!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think that I read somewhere that it should be 3lbs per quart but im just playing around making syrup with the kids. Its only our 2nd year to make syrup so take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Finished up the 16 gallons I collected. Total finished product was just over a quart.

For the record, many places I referenced noted that you should boil until the boiling temperature reaches 219 degrees. A candy thermometer works well for this.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Going to Mexico soon and I wanted to take some Pa syrup as a gift, so yesterday I visited a former co-worker's maple operation. He has out 12000 taps and over 18 miles of tubing. Said with the warm weather this year hasn't been as good as hoped.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
This is only my second year trying this and it has been a lot of fun. Probably not doing anything right but the results have been tasty so far. Here are a few pics from this past weekends boil/breakfast. Ran about 45 gallons and got a little over 10 pints. Probably could have boiled out a little more water.

·
Registered
78 Posts
BlkNnt62 that is a nice set up looks like you had a good time. Where did you get those pans? I used my fish cooker pan for finish pan and my big canning pot to heat.We ended up with 20 pints. I tried the cooking to 219 it didnt seam to be thick enough we let it go a little longer and was good.

·
Registered
802 Posts
to really be sure if you have syrup you need a hydrometer.

you need to calibrate your thermometer to where water boils at your location, then take the syrup 7 degrees past that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts