The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tapped last week, a little late due to the weather being so cold, The sap is flowing really well now,

</a>

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
The rain melted quite a bit of snow but the ground is hard as a rock yet. I haven't tried it but I'll bet it's starting.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I bought a half gallon of maple syrup yesterday off Wally Blyler near Trade City PA for $18.00
Their sugar camp was running full tilt.
New addition this year was blue plastic bags instead of the blue plastic hose and the metal buckets.
I liked the metal buckets because you could hear the sap dripping into the buckets all through the woods..

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Ok, first time trying this and I wish I hadn't. Now I'll spend the next 9 months cataloging every sugar maple I can find, and working on a more efficient evaporator. Seriously a good amount of time and effort is required, but definitely worth it in my opinion. I gathered 45 gallons of sap, and finished with better then a gallon of syrup which is right at the 40:1 estimate I was told.

Just starting out. This was a common set up I saw back yard hobbyists using. The Pot in front of the fire preheats the sap so it doesn't kill the boil when you add it too the pans.

A small sample I pulled off to check the flavor, color, flavor, flavor and the flavor. It was real good, but could use a little more boiling yet.

Learned an awful lot trying this out and hope to do more next spring. This stuff really is liquid gold. I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "You're making syrup, I'll take some when you're finished!". Nope, No Way, No How! I'm splitting it with the landowner and the guy who provided the cinder blocks and firewood. Everyone else is on their own!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts