The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
22,296 Posts
A newspaper in New York has received a wave of criticism from its readers after publishing the names and addresses of all of the individuals with handgun or pistol permits in its coverage area.

Hundreds of residents in New York's Westchester and Rockland counties were surprised to find their names and addresses listed on a map posted by The Journal News on Sunday. Users can click any dot on the map to see which of their neighbors has a permit for a gun.

The map sparked more than 500 comments from readers within a day of its appearance on the website, many of them voicing outrage at the paper's decision to make the information public.

"This is CRAZY!! why in the world would you post every licensed gun owner information?? What do you hope to accomplish by doing this. This is the type of thing you do for sex offenders not law abiding gun owners. What next? should i hang a flag outside my house that says I own a gun? I am canceling my subscription with your paper today!!!" said commenter Curtis Maenza.

"How about a map of the editorial staff and publishers of Gannett and Journal News with names and addresses of their families…," wrote commenter George Thompson.

All of the names and addresses were compiled through public records. The paper also requested the information from Putnam County, which is still compiling the records for publication, according to The Journal News' website.
Not that I agree with it but I imagine it be legal to do...it's all public record.
Scary part is if one of your neighbors considers you a bit odd and makes a phone call you could be in for some heartburn.

Newspaper Posts Gun Owners' Names

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
SigPro2340 said:
Not that I agree with it but I imagine it be legal to do...it's all public record.
I imagine this is too:

I don’t know whether the Journal’s publisher ---------- is a permit holder herself, but here’s how to find her to ask:

---------, 3 ===== House Lane, =====, NY 10534.

Phone number: (248) ----------; you might also try (914) ------, but the area code is just a guess on the assumption that this number is a land line.

Here’s a photo showing her ------ house – interior shots are on Zillow:

Gracia --------
728 --------- Rd
-----------, VA 22066
(703) 700-0000

The reporter on the story is

Dwig---------
23----- ---- Ave
----------, NY 11413 (718) --------

Janet ------- herself is married with one child, and her personal interests, as culled from her credit card records, are noted below:
http://christopherfountain.wordpress.com/2012/12/24/sauce-for-the-goose/

Note: I edited some of the info at the link.

·
Banned
22,296 Posts
That link might prove more negative than you think...two wrongs don't make a right.

One could find it quite "irrational" to respond in such a manner as posting all her personal data with the hopes of retaliation which may be the intent further supporting the anti-gun agenda that firearm owners over-react without thinking.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I've believed for a long time that the reason conservative ideals continuously come under fire is because there has been failure to respond to the vicious left and play the game.

One also could find it quite "irrational" to post personal data of individuals with the hopes of intimidating gun owners and turning neighbor against neighbor without thinking about the so called right to privacy. I thought libs valued right to privacy.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Newspaper should have never printed it, but it really irks me that the reporter that did the story has a handgun and a permit as well. Not cool.

·
Banned
22,296 Posts
One also could find it quite "irrational" to post personal data of individuals with the hopes of intimidating gun owners and turning neighbor against neighbor without thinking about the so called right to privacy.
I agree....But do you know if having a firearms license carries any right to privacy when presented in such a broad format? I'd imagine the newspaper has lawyers and they were consulted prior to posting this map.

On the other hand posting the publishers individual information might border on harrasment or civil liabilities.

Sounds pretty much the same thing as the Megan's List being public information but if used to individually harrass that person one might find himself in hot water.

WARNING
Any person who uses the information contained herein to threaten, intimidate, or harass the registrant or their family, or who otherwise misuses this information, may be subject to criminal prosecution or civil liability.
Megan's Law Website

·
Super Moderator
29,022 Posts
Information made available through Megan's law is on people <span style="font-weight: bold">convicted</span> of a crime, no?

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I have no doubt that it's legal, otherwise they wouldn't have done it.

The issue is that the newspaper acted unethically. There was no good reason for them to do this, no possible benefit.

And many solid reasons NOT to do it. They're bozos. I think they will lose a lot of subscriptions over this. Not just from the people they put on their map, but also other gun owners, AND even from people who do not own guns, but who recognize the paper violated people's privacy, and created a dangerous situation, and for no good reason.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
A couple of things.

1. Criminals should be smart enough to be able to avoid these houses now. Opting instead for the unprotected, gun free residences.

2. The newspaper has indeed provided the service in the joke about the gun owners response to his anti gun neighbor.

He placed a sign in his yard to the effect that the house was armed by a lawful gun owner.

But the house next door (with arrow pointing to it) opposes gun ownership.

3. If I had been identified in the article, I would be contacting my homeowners insurance looking for a discount on 1 and 2 above.

4. If I was not identified on the list above, I would be demanding that the newspaper provide and pay for security for my residence 24/7/365 as they identified it as a gun free zone with nothing more than the standard, minutes long response to any incident from police.

This sort of "reporting" is questionable at best. I would, however, use it to lawful gun owners advantage by actually turning the conversation to why the newspaper is warning criminals of where not to ply their trade - thus putting others at risk.

And yes - someone needs to make those signs with the arrows left or right - saying this house is armed but that house does not have firearms (for use to identify those house owners agreeing with the gun free zones and opposing the right to own firearms).

·
Registered
424 Posts
Bluetick said:
A couple of things.

1. Criminals should be smart enough to be able to avoid these houses while there is someone home now. Opting instead for the unprotected, gun free residences.

Now they know there is one gun (why have a permit if your not going to use it). Probability says there IS at least one gun, and if there is one, odds are hight there are more.

2. The newspaper has indeed provided the service in the joke about the gun owners response to his anti gun neighbor.

He placed a sign in his yard to the effect that the house was armed by a lawful gun owner.

But the house next door (with arrow pointing to it) opposes gun ownership.

3. If I had been identified in the article, I would be contacting my homeowners insurance looking for a discount on 1 and 2 above.

While that sounds good, they are more likely to RAISE your rates due to higher risk of loss due to burglary, and possibly civil suit if they defend themselves... (it's New York, NO castle doctrine)

4. If I was not identified on the list above, I would be demanding that the newspaper provide and pay for security for my residence 24/7/365 as they identified it as a gun free zone with nothing more than the standard, minutes long response to any incident from police.

This sort of "reporting" is questionable at best. I would, however, use it to lawful gun owners advantage by actually turning the conversation to why the newspaper is warning criminals of where not to ply their trade - thus putting others at risk.

And yes - someone needs to make those signs with the arrows left or right - saying this house is armed but that house does not have firearms (for use to identify those house owners agreeing with the gun free zones and opposing the right to own firearms).
I am pretty sure they did this before. I'm sure I read about it a couple of years ago.

·
Banned
22,296 Posts
I am pretty sure they did this before. I'm sure I read about it a couple of years ago.
I have been searching around the net about these databases and you might be thinking of Indiana back in 2009.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Bluetick said:

I agree with you 100%. I was thinking the same thing. However, I doubt the newspaper would print a response like this in their letters to the editor. Word would have to get out some other way. Maybe somebody that lives there might think about getting flyers made and place them in the homeowners newspaper boxes.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Couple of thoughts:

1. Freedom of Information Act allows freedom of ALL public records with proper requests - good and bad there. Then again, if we got gov't out of ALL of where it shouldn't be, this wouldn't be an issue.

2. Legal? Probably. Can they be sued for endangerment, etc.? Perhaps.

3. If we were a retaliating bunch, we cold request the same list, then in turn, post all of the UNARMED residences on the net or in a paper, etc. But, we're not like that.....

4. Criminals now know where to go to try to steal guns when the homeowners are away. not much legal CCW in NYC so far as I know, so the guns are always home.

·
Banned
22,296 Posts
And this bodes well for firearm owners?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts