The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering the effect on the reduced aluminum arrow effect now with compound arrows.
More using carbon bolts than aluminum?

I know with PA having gone crossbow, that will have some effect on arrows available to even compound users.

I'm sure there are carbon arrows developed that fit the crossbow and upper speed compound market, but may not be needed by the "slower" compound market. The latter is the one I'm in.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
We hardly ever sell an aluminum arrow anymore. Mostly everything has gone to carbons.
Carbons are straight or broken. Never a bend in any of them.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
i still use 2117's for my exocet 200 just on the fact that i can rebuild bent alum arrows using there componets from bent arrows with just hot melt glue....the carbon arrows i got with my xbow kit were a pain to get inserts and nocks to come loose....i will use alum untill they stop making them....

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
I still use 2219 bolts for my x-bow and killed my buck this past fall with them. They work great for me and I will continue with them until I can't get them. My x-bow is fast enough. I want the extra weight for penetration. Guess I'm just not an "all out speed" guy like most are.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I too, use the 2219 alum bolts b/c I picked up about 3 dozen at Walmart 4 or 5 years ago for $2.00 each.
I did have Arrowhead set me up with 6 bolts that have lighted inserts -- like those an awful lot.
Don't remember if they are carbon or alum.

I shoot an old/older Horton Hunter Supreme which works fine for my style of hunting: shots less than 25 yards, maybe 30 if all conditions are perfect.

Once I use up the alum bolts, then I'll switch over.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good info. I'm still using alum. arrows in a compound and was wondering the use in cross bows.
"were a pain to get inserts and nocks to come loose." I found doing your own arrows isn't the same for alums and carbons. You tube was a great help too.

And I know sticking vanes to alum is slightly different. One glue and possible another don't works with carbons like alum. I'll try them first in practice before ever using them for hunting

Good to know I have some old users. I'm going to try some carbons before I really want to. Or have to. Luckily I still have alums for this hunting season. But you never know.
Better to get ready for any changes in the market.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
yeah if something is not broke, why improve it

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I'm shooting aluminum XX75's. I talked to Tenpoint and they told me thats what alot of the people that work there are using.... So figured they had to be good enough.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SgtUSMC or anyone. Is there a difference between the xx75 aluminum arrow for the compound bow and the crossbow, except the nock. I notice only the latter are definitely different.
Some difference, I see, in unit price.

Wonder if a 2314 or 2315 would work on a crossbow, shortened to 22 or 20 inches.
I'm not sure, since I don't know crossbow bolt specifics.

·
Registered
12,725 Posts
Make sure if you are going to use an aluminum arrow or a graphite arrow in your crossbow that the spline, length and head match well or it may cause malfunctions of the bow or horrible accuracy, key holeing, etc. If not sure, I reccomend a good bow shop that is very knowledgable with crossbows and bows in general.

·
Banned
1,009 Posts
Carbons...ive noticed with aluminums that i use for my compound that your going to lose arrows unlike the carbon...if you miss....or hit a deer with aluminum most of the time the arrow is destroyed from my experience...shot a buck this year with the carbon and it was a straight through shot...and my arrow was right at the spot i hit him in the ground...not broken...just bloody....and definitely re usable...saves you money on not having to buy anymore arrows or broadheads exp since the broadheads i use are expensive...$30 something for just 3 of them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts