The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planted some full size trees this spring. All are doing great. With the wet summer; there has been no need to water. But

1. If things do dry out; how late into sep/oct would you water?

2. What about the second year, do you water?

3. I didn't fertilize when I planted them. Do you guys add anything in the spring?

4. Do any of you mulch? I was thinking about it but got lazy. Plenty of weeds around the trees; but it doesn't see to have affected them.

5.Finally, Anyone prune starting the second year?

PS- thanks to the guy that recomended going with full size trees. I have struggled with dwarfs and semi dwarfs for years. These full size ones have really taken. It will take many years to see the fruit; but at least they aren't dead. I bought the trees from St Lawerence coutny in upstate NY. They pride themselves on providing hardy trees. I must say I was a little skepticle when my 15 trees came lashed to a 5 foot pole and were about 6 inches in diameter, all trees combined; but I can't complain about how the look now.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
1. That late into the growing season, I wouldn't worry about watering them.

2. If you get a really long dry spell, watering can help but once they are into their second year they usually can hold their own.

3. Not fertilizing them the first year is my preferred method. I don't want them to get an artificial size too soon. I would fertilize them this fall and then again in the mid spring next year.

4. Mulching can help keep them from drying out. I would hit the weeds with RoundUp to prevent competition with the tree for water and nutrients. Mulching helps keep those weeds from coming back.

5. If you notice branches crossing, touching or growing in directions you don't want, pruning them next year would be a good idea.

Those are my opinions from experience over the years...

·
Registered
695 Posts
I would have to agree with CJBS2003. The only thing I would add is that if we go into a dry spell this fall I would provide them with water until they get their fall color.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
I'm glad you bought those full size trees. That's the only way to go.
Everything said above is what you want to do, especially the roundup.

Did you fence them? That is as important as the rest of the items.
Use a 4 ft high fence, 10 feet in diameter. That gives you 5 ft. back from the tree. When you first do it, it may seem excessive, but in a couple of year, the deer would be able to prune it if you don't go back that far.

I put in 4 more full size trees in this year.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Capt S.- The fellow that you dealt with in St. Lawrence Cty (St. Lawrence Nurseries) is very knowlegeable, and I have bought quite a bit from him over the years. Most important thing is that he has very cold hardy rootstocks, which is very imnportant (at least up here in Northern NY).

The one thing I would not do is fertilize this late in the year. It can cause the tree to not harden off properly for the winter months. Wait till spring and fertilize as soon as the frost is out of the ground.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Pa-Guy said:
Did you fence them? That is as important as the rest of the items.
Use a 4 ft high fence, 10 feet in diameter. That gives you 5 ft. back from the tree. When you first do it, it may seem excessive, but in a couple of year, the deer would be able to prune it if you don't go back that far.
Agreed we had a buck make a rub on one of our trees...now its dead

1 - 6 of 6 Posts