The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone
when making jerky in the oven, what temp do u set it at and for how long? i just bought jerky drying racks for the oven.

thanks
chuck

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Lowest setting and prop the oven door open with a toothpick. It will take a while but the lower the temp the better. You want to dry the meat not cook it. I always put the meat on toothpicks and hang it from the racks in the oven. You can get a ton of meat in there that way. Just line the oven bottom with foil or you will be scrubbing it for days. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I start out at 150 degrees for 3 hours, then raise the temp to 180. Usually takes about 6 hours to make, give or take a few minutes, and how thick the jerky is sliced.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Fly Guy said:
Lowest setting and prop the oven door open with a toothpick. It will take a while but the lower the temp the better. You want to dry the meat not cook it. I always put the meat on toothpicks and hang it from the racks in the oven. You can get a ton of meat in there that way. Just line the oven bottom with foil or you will be scrubbing it for days. Good luck.
+1

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I use a gas oven. My old one...Not good.(Hence...Old one). In the new one, I run it at the "Warm" setting, About 135 degrees by my gauge, for the duration. I have the door open just a bit for the last 2 hours or so. Takes about 7 to 8 hours but I get a heck of a lot of other things done in the meantime.

The only problem I have found with jerkey, Takes a long time to make it (Prep, Drying, Cooling, Drinking and whatnot). The stuff is gone in like 2 days. But I can deal with that

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
surprised woody isnt' here yet...so i'll say it for him.

FDA and USDA and all the other men in black recommend that you :

Cook at 170 for 1 hour, then back it off to the lowest setting possible to dry it out. This is how commercial jerky makers do it too and it prevents any possibility of foodborne illness. the meat must hit 165 to kill the nasties...and it must stay there for 20 mins or so. cooking at 170-180 for an hour will do this but won't turn your meat to charcoal. after this, you could even move it to a dehydrator too if you wanted.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
jayd4wg said:
surprised woody isnt' here yet...so i'll say it for him.

FDA and USDA and all the other men in black recommend that you :

Cook at 170 for 1 hour, then back it off to the lowest setting possible to dry it out. This is how commercial jerky makers do it too and it prevents any possibility of foodborne illness. the meat must hit 165 to kill the nasties...and it must stay there for 20 mins or so. cooking at 170-180 for an hour will do this but won't turn your meat to charcoal. after this, you could even move it to a dehydrator too if you wanted.
I just got online...

Your Forgetting something!

Seeing you posted what needed posted, I'll let you edit and include what you missed!

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
oh happy day...following this advice, the first batchof jerky is in theoven on the nesco/ronco trays. they seem fine at this temp, not losing any rigidity, and no plastic smell. this is fortunate too cus it looks like the heating element in the ronco is about to give up the ghost.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
well...I just got stuck on a conf call while the first batch was baking and i warped a tray. i'm now down to 4 trays in the ronco and will need to find another way to do my dehydrating. DANGIT! LOL

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
sounds like a good excuse to get a smoker

1 - 11 of 11 Posts