The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am converting a 1891 Mauser into a nice hunting rifle but dont know what to convert it to. i dont want anything that is going to have alot of kick or cost alot to reload. i have the following cal and would like to have something not to close to them.
.22, .223 rem, .243, .260 rem, 6.5x54 MS, .270 WSM, 7mm mag.
thanks for your help and this is what the wife had agreed to let me get for Christmas

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my choices are between 25-06, 257 robers, 7mm-06, 7mm-08 or just a 308. this is just what i have come up with and am open to any suggestion

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Brownells sells after market barrels for Mauser 91/93/95/96
in 300 Savage, 35 Remington, 257 Roberts, and probably
a couple of other mild rounds. Or at least they used to,
havent checked the website in awhile.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I am not trying to be a negative nanny. So excuse my comment please. But when you build a custom rifle you should know exactly what you want. Building a custom is an expensive thing to do. And once you have one made to your specs. they are difficult to resell, and do not hold their value at all.

I am not telling you what to do. But I would build exactly what I wanted, regardless of what I already have in the safe. A custom is something you are suppose to aspire to. Tom.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Go wildcat something like a 30 cal Whelen

·
Registered
646 Posts
Never heard of a 7mm-06, isn't that called a 280? How about a 220 swift? Everybody should own one at least once. When they finally come to take my weapons that will be the one they pry for my cold hands.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
That .260 or .257 Roberts would be ideal for a mild but lethal medium big game cartridge that's easy to reload and doesn't need big doses of powder. As far as cost goes, reloading is all about the same, for the most part you can get 100 bullets for $25, maybe not partitions but Sierra Game Kings which will work just fine, powder is around $22 and most use 45- 60 grains, so it's about even also and primers are the same..so no caliber or cartridge for regular Joe cartridges is that much different, stay away from anything bigger because the cost of bullets jumps and you usually get 50 instead of 100.. HOGGHEAD makes a great point also, think about what and why your doing this, the rifle may be worth more to leave untouched..you can buy a complete new bolt rifle for $300 these days that's more than capable of killing any animal in this state..you can get a Savage Edge and scope for $300.00

·
Registered
25,487 Posts
the 91 mauser will not handle high pressure rounds.25/06,308 are a no go.7x57 would be a good one.
Agreed

·
Registered
12,084 Posts
7x57 mauser is a great all round cartridge for Eastern hunting. An old military workhorse been around for ever, shells are inexpensive and for reloading, because of the 7mm mags and other cartridges that size, there is a fair selection of bullets available.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I would never invest in a custom on an 1891 mauser action. It is too weak and thevallue of the best custom rifle you could make with it will not be half of wht you invest. If you want a custom rifle, invest just a little more than you will be spending to customise tht 91 and get a much better action...at least a '98, or an FN.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
old06 said:
Go wildcat something like a 30 cal Whelen
LOL! Why no one has ever thought of doing that, I don't know. I'm certain it would be very popular.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
devonb said:
Never heard of a 7mm-06, isn't that called a 280?
No, the 280 Rem is .050" longer at the shoulder than the unaltered '06 family, 2.099" minimum chamber for the 280 vs 2.049" for the '06. The wildcat 7-06 is simply the 06 necked to 284/7mm without any other changes.

Bill

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks to all for the responses and i think i have been talked out of converting the gun to something else. i bought the gun for 125 so i dont have that much into it. so it can just sit in the safe and add to the collection. thanks again.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
sitting in a safe makes about as much sence as having a car you don't drive. GET OUT AND AT LEAST SHOOT IT!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts