The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After crunching the numbers of the individual seed mix brands I bought and individual seed varieties, here's the break down:

Numbers are in pounds...

10.0 TNS Wheat
9.45 Forage Plus X00-5018 Wheat
2.00 Brundage 96 Wheat

10.0 TNS Oats
3.60 Bob Oats
3.00 Cayuse Oats

3.83 Triticale 342
3.00 Forerunner Triticale

4.00 Austrian Winter Peas
3.00 WWII Peas

1.25 Brakant Turnips
1.13 Bioroa Brassicas
0.75 Wakefield Rape
0.36 Rangoria Rape

4.00 Crimson Clover
1.13 Berseem Clover
0.65 Yuchi Arrowleaf Clover
0.50 Dutch White Clover

1.00 Mancan Buckwheat

We'll be over seeding this into a 1.25 acre food plot we're rebuilding. Currently it is about one third orchard grass/white clover/sweet yellow clover. The remainder is mostly summer annual weeds(mostly Japanese slilt grass) that I cut very short. We then ran a york rake over it a couple times to clean up all the dead vegetation from the cutting. I will rehit the plot with 400 pounds of 5-15-15 and 400 pounds of pelletized lime. Run the york rake over it once more. Then broadcast the seed, after which I will run the work rake over it one more time to ensure good seed to soil contact.

Ideas, opinions?

It's a crazy mix, but has some good varieties and I think the numbers work out good for the size plot and the method of seeding and the current conditions I am working with. I plan to RoundUp the whole plot in mid spring and starting over...

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I'm thinking that if you haven't killed off the stiltgrass, and it's seeds, it might be a problem next year? Nasty stuff.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it is nasty stuff... I am just trying to make do with what I am dealing with in this food plot to get some good food for the deer and to attract them in this fall for hunting. Next spring I will tackle the stilt grass and bring the food plot back from life...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts