The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a windy afternoon here so my plan to spray today is out. Instead, I may put in a watering hole/trough. My plan is to buy a plastic trough from the feed store and sink it down level with the ground somewhere in the shade on the corner of my lot. It should be close enough to the house that I can refill it time to time with clean water. Anybody have ideas or pics of others that you may have done. Open to all ideas. Ill post some pics of what progress I make and also my clover is coming up good. gotta do some updates.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Neat idea. But without a sourse of constantly running water keep an eye out for stagnent breeding grounds for our friendly mosquitos and their West Nile Virus.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I just read something on the qdma forum about using a 40 gallon trough then framing a piece of roofing tin.Put one end on the lip of the tub put the other end up on a stump or something to make an angle.Supposedly 1 inch of rain = 40 gallons.Then theres the captured dew on a daily basis.I've been thinking of something like this for awhile i guess this is what i'm gonna try.As far as mosquitos there are things out there for cattle troughs.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the more I research this topic the more ideas I get. there are alot of ways to construct one. Im going with the KISS method. I bought a 20 gal galvanized steel trough. Like I said, this one is going to be just inside the woods from my backyard food plot so a hose will reach it to empty/fill it up as needed. There are chemicals you can buy at feed store or i even found them at lowes that kill the mosquito larvae for 30 days each application and is safe for fish/animals. All my other mineral sites have a fresh water source except this one. With water, the deer that come through my homestead have it all. They can stay and bring their boyfriends by around halloween time.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Making a watering hole *Pics Added*

20 gallon galvanized steel trough embedded into the dirt. I also put a woodland supplement feed block next to it and sprinkled it with corn for good measure.

This evening, I had a few of the younger deer near it. Looked like they were scooping up some corn and hitting some of the browse around it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts