The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has any one every try to make a trapping coat with thier hides? My youngest daughter is interested in tring this. we know how to tan our hides. It would be the sewing part not sure of.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
I'm in the works of getting enough hides together to make a hat from Fox, Coon, Muskrat and Skunk and also having 2 deer hides tanned to use in a coat I want made which will be a mixture of deer, fox, coon, muskrat and mink..

Problem I'm running into is everyone I talk to about the Coat have told me that not many have the required equipment needed to sew deer hides (Was told by 4 different places Deer Hides require different equipment then all the other hides I want used due to how thick the leather is on tanned deer hides)

I've been conversing with Gal and she has refered me to another person who does things like I want....
This topic Reminds me I need to send him another email for he was busy when Gal told me about him and he had told me to keep hitting him with Emails so when things calmed down he would be able to help me out.

I'd love to do it myself but do not have what is needed to make the coats or hats!

Back in the late 90s, I made a Deer Skin Vest for my Daughter out of a deer skin I had tanned and used Antler for Buttons, Long pieces of Antler cut and used leather boot strings to run trhu a drilled hole in the antler piece to then run into a small hole cut in the deer hide...My Daughter LOVED that Vest, she wore it all the time, till her lab (Not Mine, if it had been mine it would NEVER Had happened) got hold of the Deer Skin Vest and my Black Duck Mount and proceeded to rip them all apart!

PM Gal or FTW(Yep she posted in this already) maybe 1 of them will help you out on getting a pattern to make what you want or point you to where to get a pattern...I know Each make hats from patterns!

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Yes I do make hats and I have a vest pattern too. I hand sew everything using artificial sinew. ( I also make holsters too, but need the actual gun to make the pattern and to wet form).

I twice had a guy ask about making a bison coat like the old timers wore out west, and he wanted it hand made, not machine. I could do one by hand, but I haven't heard back from him in years.

There might be a pattern available, if even for a woman's faux fur coat, that could be altered. I study new things and then it just comes to me how to do it. Must be the female sewing genes combining with the female american Indian genes LOL- I am a natural! ( ok, my mom taught me basic sewing, but I learned the other methods later and mainly from booklets). Oh yeah I sew animals up nice and tight in taxidermy too.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Very good idea Tom, please post pics if you do figure it out. I have thought of a similar idea, but have already promised my kids coon skin caps first.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i think its pretty cool she wants to do that, we are having alot of fun trapping who would guess 10 year old girl would like trapping, and further more like skinning and fleshing she is doing probably 60% of our skinning with my guidence, making some cuts, but heck I do that too.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
I wish someone had taken me trapping at 10, then I wouldn't have wanted a cat skeleton so bad as to dig my own dead kitty up nearly 2 years after he died. I could have just had a fox skeleton instead. When I was 10 at a summer day camp at a university campus, we went into a biology building for some reason and had to wait for a counselor or something. Everyone was bored and some of us saw a room with a glass door, and peeking through saw a huge bunch of articulated animal skeletons. I wanted one immediatly! LOL

So no, a 10 year old girl being interested in trapping and furs isn't wholey unusual. I was rather weird as a kid anyway though, didn't really have friends, had obsessive interests...such as a cat skeleton... all these years later I find my odd behaviors and interests as a child to fit a mild form of aspergers ( high functioning autism). My father also seems to have it, plus the grand IQ to go with it, which he wastes.

Doing taxidermy is great for me. I am in charge and can make my own hours, and the socializing with customers isn't overwelming. Trapping is also pure blissful solitude most of the time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts