The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a Bear Hunt for my 13 yr old Daughter, This will be her first Bear Hunt. Still thinking if bait or hounds would be best. She will be using a crossbow. Looking for a place with cabins. Any recommendations? Went to Maine myself a while back. Outfitter doesn't have cabins. Shame, he is the best in my book!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
I booked a hunt for me and my son in the fall of 2017 at the Northern Pride Lodge in Maine. This will be our first trip to Maine for a bear hunt. Friends of mine went to this outfitter in 2015 and they really liked him and they are going again in 2017 with me and my son. The lodge takes 10 hunters per week and the week my friends went 9 of 10 got bear. The only hunter not to get a bear seen them but was looking for a bigger one since he got one a few years back. It is a baited hunt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Elmer Fudd said:
I booked a hunt for me and my son in the fall of 2017 at the Northern Pride Lodge in Maine. This will be our first trip to Maine for a bear hunt. Friends of mine went to this outfitter in 2015 and they really liked him and they are going again in 2017 with me and my son. The lodge takes 10 hunters per week and the week my friends went 9 of 10 got bear. The only hunter not to get a bear seen them but was looking for a bigger one since he got one a few years back. It is a baited hunt
Thanks Elmer Fudd, looking for a place with cabins. Good luck on your hunt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thought I would get more responses. Maybe I will take her up north PA for PA Archery Bear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,268 Posts
Does it have to be Maine? We went to Quebec a few years ago. They had cabins on Lake Kipawa. Taggart Bay Outfitters. About a 9 hour drive from PA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,747 Posts
I have talked to the guys at Maine Trophy Outfitters several times at the Elmira Outdoor show, if I ever go up there it will be with them. You can still trap a bear in Maine, that's what I'd like to do!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,268 Posts
Hunting with hounds sounds like fun. Not sure how much running around that would entail or if a kid would keep up. But it sounded more fun than sitting for hours on end.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Decided on New Hampshire Guide Service. They have dog and Bait hunts. Very reasonable and he donates hunts for Hunts of a lifetime. Thanks for all the input.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,514 Posts
bobcat1 said:
Decided on New Hampshire Guide Service. They have dog and Bait hunts. Very reasonable and he donates hunts for Hunts of a lifetime. Thanks for all the input.
Enjoy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
spend too much time on line and things happen. Found out the guy in New Hampshire does hunts part time. Has a steady Job that keeps him busy. So after extensive research I decided to do a Dog hunt for my Daughter. I have two picked out. They are Bear Ridge Outfitters and Hollaback guide Service. They are both in Maine. Have nice cabins by the lake and a great track record on Bears. One is half price for her. Any input would be great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,268 Posts
Keep us posted on what you do and the results of the hunt. I would love to take my son on another hunt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WOL said:
Keep us posted on what you do and the results of the hunt. I would love to take my son on another hunt.
Will do Sir! Been waiting for this time to come. Took her out for the Mentor Youth Hunts twice. Decided against hunting, then last month she approached me saying she wants a Bear. Have to admit, I had a tear in my eye!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another thing, she only wanted to use the crossbow due to no noise. She is now coming around to the youth 20 GA slug gun. What a difference a year makes. So happy right now!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Went out to shoot the Gun Sunday. She was fighting me a little. After she shot the first one, she looked at me and said, "Dad, I am sorry I was fighting you. This isn't so bad," I needed more shells! lol
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top