The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I got the hard part done, drawing my tag! After 16 years applying I drew a Zone 4 September Bull tag. So now i'm looking for some info. Who has went, where did you go, anything that is Maine and Moose i'm interested in! I've already had a few outfitters call the house and have talked to some guys who have drawn before, but i'm looking for all I can get!
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
126 Posts
drew a tag in 1999 and loved every minute of it and yes the outfitters will have your phone ringing off the hook and your mailbox full of thier brochures and offers any questions feel free to send me a pm i have hunted maine for deer, bear etc been in the greenville and moose head lake area alot

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
As much as I hate paying for a guide,I think I would with this tag.Find one willing to work his butt off though and get you a big one.I think you could find an average moose on your own if you go up early and scout ahead of season.Your a lucky man,put 100% into that tag,and good luck

·
Registered
229 Posts
I drew a zone 4 moose tag in 2010..Unguided..the moose move early in the morning and late in the afternoon. I hunted off the Golden Rd..I took the Budworm Rd to the East Rainey Rd..shot a 53 inch bull that weighed 900lbs or so...we stayed in Rockwood at Maynards Camps..we drove 45 minutes each morning to our hunting location..awesome hunt have fun.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am headed up over Labor day weekend to do some scouting, going to stay at Loon Lodge, anybody ever been there?

·
Registered
229 Posts
If your bear hunting Maine this year your in for a real treat...the berries have gone by...not much food in the woods...bears are living at the baits...i'm 41 years old, been bear baiting since I was 15...this looks to be the best year I have ever seen...I can't lug enough bait right..trail cam videos are showing bears at the baits all day...10 more days!!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Every year is different up here for baiting bear. It really all depends on natural food in the woods..IMO this will be an awesome year for bear sightings. There is not much food in the woods..acorns are very slim..berries are done..the bears are competing big time for the baits. I'm getting lots of daytime pics on my cams..I'm not a guide up here, I just hunt bear every fall..and thats what i'm seeing this year..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts