The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Applied to Maine again, 16 years now! Also did New Hampshire today as well, Vermont isn't until May according to their site.

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
I just applied also, this is only my second year so I'm not expecting anything.

Good Luck everyone, would be cool if somebody here got one.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
m77lewis said:
Applied to Maine again, 16 years now! Also did New Hampshire today as well, Vermont isn't until May according to their site.

I don't even know if I'll put any of us in for VT this year. I knew the moose numbers were really suffering in VT but I didn't know how bad it was until I was up earlier this month and could check the moose tracks, or lack thereof as it turned out. We did manage to see a moose however, but it's gotten pretty bad in VT. Oh well, they slashed the permits in half last year and apparently are doing the same this year. Maybe in a few years the Moose will be back.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
as far as I know people are still hitting and killing them with their cars ,have not seen a reducition in the herd size ,if i get one you can be my first shooter

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AgesofDays said:
as far as I know people are still hitting and killing them with their cars ,have not seen a reducition in the herd size ,if i get one you can be my first shooter
VT F&G has come out and said that they decreased the herd too far and they want to build it back up. Permits are down to 450 from a high of close to 1,200 a few years ago.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I stand corrected. VT has slashed moose permits down to 385 this year. link

Which is lower than I've ever seen it. That means they'll only give out 38 permits for non res.

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
quebec is otc. and you do not need to go with a guide. if you buy goods or services from 2 different bussineses you can hunt on your own there. rent a cabin, then go to the local store for lisc & groceries and you can hunt on your own.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AgesofDays said:
but if i have a permit you only need to have a lisence

If you get a tag and you really need a shooter, let me know. I'm on my three year moratorium in Vermont right now (because I held a VT moose tag in 2009) but I know some people who would love to have a chance at a VT moose.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Just received this info from Maine:

<span style="font-family: 'Arial'"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Maine Moose Permit Lottery odds of winning get better every year

The odds of winning a Moose Hunting Permit get better every year!

IF&W has issued moose permits since 1980. The number of applicants peaked in 1994 with 94,543 applications for 1200 permits, and odds of 1 in 79 applicants winning a permit. Last year, in 2011, there were 49,889 applicants for 3,862 permits; with the odds of 1 in 13 applicants winning – a substantially better chance!

Changes to the 2012 Moose Permit lottery will further improve the odds of a long time applicant’s winning. Since 1998, a bonus point was earned for each year a person applied, but did not win. Last year, the Legislature changed the bonus points earned to one point for years 1 to 5, two points for years 6 to 10, three points for years 11-15 and 10 points for each year over 15. The maximum number of years anyone has accumulated into 2012 is 14 years – equaling a total of 27 bonus points.

In addition, residents can only buy one chance - increasing the value of the bonus points relative to the number of purchased chances. Last year, the long time applicant with 13 bonus points and 6 purchased chances was three times as likely to win as the person with zero bonus points and who purchased 6 chances. This year the long time applicant with 27 bonus points and one purchased chance are 28 times more likely to win when compared to the person buying their first chance. About 3500 people have applied every year since 1998 and not won. With all of the changes outlined above, and if they continue to apply annually; almost all of them will win a moose hunting permit within the next five years.</span></span></span>

My odds are getting better every year! I now have 27 bonus points, so hopefully this will be my year!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts