The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hunting PA bear for a few years without one under my belt and was wondering about outta state hunting. I am in the $1500-2000 range and was wondering if anyone had suggestions. Maine isnt the only option...but Id figured it'd be my best bet stateside.
Thanks, Brad

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I surmise you are looking for a baited hunt which is at the end of Aug/Sept.Some hunt with hounds up there, but I have no interest in hunting them that way. Maine can be good or not. It's about the timing and how much food is in the woods that year. Just realize its not like the 3-4K hunts in canada on TV where you'll see bears everyday, can whisper and move around in the stand in plain sight of the bear and then just shoot one. It might be that way, or you might see none. I mention this because it sounds as if you think this might be an "easier" way of getting one than in PA.Please pardon me if I misinterpreted. That aside, they are reasonably priced (within your budget), easy pace(no 4 AM wake-ups like deer hunts), enjoyable hunts. Try Randy Flannery at Wilderness Escape Outfitters. In the meantime keep trying here.

·
Registered
283 Posts
My father and I went to maine and hunting with A guide called Russell Pond camps. We had a great time, the guides were really good, food was incredible and we both got bear. They had 2 little old ladies in the kitchen cooking and we ate like kings all week and the camp is on a real nice lake with lots to do when your not hunting. My dad and I got the two biggest bear taken that week... I really want to go again here is the link http://www.russellpondcamps.com

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
scott_and_stalk said:
my uncle and second cousin are up there right now and his was far less than 2000 and he got a bear and deer license
if it is a baited bear hunt, you have a better chance of getting the bear than you do the deer!

But if you find a buck, it is likely a large one!!

·
Banned
10,667 Posts
i want to go on an archery bear hunt....

...ive mentioned it before but we have friends that have always lived in maine...the father(my dads really good army friend) gets a decent or very nice buck every single year but he does own 200 acres of woods.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I've hunted with Turnpike Ridge Outfitters 3 of the past 4 years. Twice for bear and just last month for moose. Don and his guides are great people, friendly and do everything they can to get you your game. I'm right now trying to get some guys from work together for a bear trip next year. His contact info is below.

Here is a pic of the moose I killed with Don on October 13, 2009

Turnpike Ridge Outfitters
HCR 69, Box 558
Medway, Maine, 04460

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I hunted here a few years ago and I found them to be a top notch outfitter. I did kill a really nice bear for Maine (376lbs.)and many bear were taken the week I was in camp. Everyone in camp saw bear.I believe there were 28 bear killed out of 29or30 hunters. Most bear weighed between 250-300lbs. The biggest that week was 463lbs.! I have recommended this outfitter to a couple of guys that booked successful hunts there in the last few years. Al & Carol run a top-notch service and do everything possible to get you a shot at a quality bear. The price is right in your range too.
http://www.allagashwildernesscamps.com/refer.html

·
Registered
229 Posts
One of my best friends is a bear guide. He doesn't really promote his business, its kind of a side thing. He just loves to bear hunt with guys, and he knows the woods up here. I hooked him up with 4 guys from PA last year, they went 4-4 all bow kills. 3 bow kills the first evening and the 4th guy passed on a couple small bear opening night, 6-7 hundred bucks will get it done. He supplies the camp, you supply your own food. He'll bait the site all summer, take you to and from your stand, assist you in the recovery and skin and quarter your bear. He doesn't have a website so if your interested I can provide references out of Williamsport, PA and give you phone numbers. These guys have been coming up to hunt for years.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Kind of confused on what outfitter to hook up with now.
I'll probably never shoot a bear in PA, so an outfitter
is probably going to be my best bet. Are the fall hunts
in Maine archery only or can you use a rifle?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts