The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
started using large mag rifle primers instead of plain large rifle...seems to work good in my 25-06 anyone else use mag primers for non mag calibers ?

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
I use them for ball power and heavy loads of 4350.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Conservative with Reloading

When it comes to reloading, I always went conservative. I never was taught to go and try and invent the wheel. Use what's recommended in the reloading manual. No more and no less.
Over the decades, I've seen a few accidents caused by people attempting to push the rules, and get too much pressure.

And since it worked, I saw no reason to look for a substitute.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Re: Conservative with Reloading

I keep it simple, and use mag primers for mag rifles, standard primers for standard calibers. There is a school of thought that you should use magnum primers with Ball powders, especialy if your charge weight is over 50 grains.

Magnum primers are used by some when catridges like the .25-06 and .270 are loaded with slower powders, like Rl-22, the various 4831s, etc. Many also use magnum primers to fine tune a load.

One thing to remeber, you need to start load development over when making the switch, starting with the lowest charges.

Will

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
BUCKSLAYER15 said:
could raise pressure
Yep, if you go from standard to mag, you got to watch for pressure signs.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
hootshoot said:
made a big difference in accuracy in 308 load mag primer gave me beeter results
Mine too, I also use ball power in my 308's.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Use Remington 9 1/2 in everything that they fit in, never had a single mis-fire or problem with any of them..about 20'000 or so over the years..

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Only use them in 60 grain or larger cases. Seems to hurt accuracy in smaller cases. Suposedly, it moves the powder forward before burning and can cause higher pressure due to powder momentarily blocked at the case neck.

Ball powder is difficult to ignite, so they are generally needed in cases like 7-08, 308, and 338 federal. Just been loading some 338 federal with ball and the SD on loads got better with mag primers. I seldom load ball powder, for this and other reasons.

·
Registered
893 Posts
It'll depend on the type and weight of the powder.
If you are near max loadings , you should back off before just swapping out primers for mag primers.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
I only use magnum primers if the load calls for it. Otherwise you are raising pressures for no good reason.

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
If the use of mag primers is an option that is written in the reloading manual that you use then give them a try. Be true to the recipet. But as everyone here has said don't go and do independant experimentation. It just ain't worth it and your face, eyes and head will appreciate your conservative reloading process and approach. Many years ago I would sometimes see a shooter at the local range actually relaoding from a portable setup while shooting. I saw him shoot in a match and at some point the reciever of his M1A1 actually blew apart with the magazine ejecting like a rocket into the ground and a strip of metal actually being pealed from the underside of the bolt and execting through the magazine well. After it was determined that he was okay and his Match Grade rifle was now a tomato stake he left and I never saw him again.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I have used the in 06 length calibers and bigger. Some primers that say magnum aren't as hot as others.

I think that they provide for more consistant ignition than standard primers.

My favorite load for 25-06 uses a cci magnum primer,remington brass, a 100 grain ballistic tip and imr 4831 powder.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
If you grenade a rifle (especially a standard chambering) because you switched to magnum primers from standard, than you've got bigger issues than the additional pressure the primer's potentially creating.

The best way to know if a primer change is beneficial is to chronograph a series of loads where the only variable is the primer change. I've tested fairly extensively with CCI primers using BR2's, 200's and 250's in my large rifle primer calibers and CCI 400 and 450's in my small rifle primer calibers. The majority of the calibers I've chronographed have shown a decrease in standard deviation and extreme spread at the higher velocities (higher charge density) with magnum primers. With standard primers I (usually) see accuracy peaking a couple of grains below max. The switch to magnums has often times moved the accuracy peak towards the top end of the charge weights.

Without a side by side comparison their is no way of knowing for sure and it doesn't always work as expected. My 300WSM doesn't shoot as well with magnum primers. I use extruded and ball powders both in the wizzum but I've never able to gain any advantage with the magnum primers. Accuracy with that rifle always comes in 1-2grs under max.

I guess I stray a little from the beaten path when it comes to primer selection. Or I don't make the assumption that one primer does it all.

Of the rifles I load (or have loaded) for this is what I've found worked the best for me.

223-cci 450
243-cci 250
243AI-cci 250
25-06-cci 250
6.5x55-cci 200
270-cci 250
308-cci 200
300WSM-cci 200

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i actually started using them some time ago...i started with lower powder charges and have finally settled on a load of 52 grains of imr4831 behind a 117 gr hornady boatail a very very accurate load in my rifle. have used 53 grains also ,with no noticable difference in accuracy..but..53 grains seems a little hot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts