The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

There oughta' be a couple lucky ones in there.....

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An old Lee bottom pour electric pot and a Lee .490 mould. I have a pretty nice supply of pure lead, and that makes it easy.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Those are nice!...I used to make my own .54 cal. Maxi-Balls with a Lee production pot and T/C mold....The secret to nice slugs is to get the mold REAL HOT before you start throwing lead.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Sweet!!!

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Mccoy,do you weigh every ball?I just started the "weigh every ball"thing.Weighed out 100 balls and used the heavest one as a base line.Anything lighter than 1 oz of the heavest gets thrown back in the pot.From what I hear this weeds out the ones with air pockets in them.Weighed 100 Hornady just to see how they were.Range was over 5grs.
Was pouring this week also.My .445 had better than 90% good ones while my .490's were only 30% good.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heck no! I am not about to get rid of a good excuse for misses! I figure if an occasional ball is a little lite, it still will probably fly better than I usually aim...I had an "on" day at the range today and cut several one hole/3 shot offhand groups at 25 yards. Shooting like this is fun, now if I could just do it every time....hahaha

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the test for air pockets was to roll them. If they didn't roll right then they had an air pocket

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
brewyak said:
correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the test for air pockets was to roll them. If they didn't roll right then they had an air pocket
The true test is to pass them thru deer hair!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Heck I already owe two!! The way things are going, I'm afraid I'll owe another one for interest!

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Ck out the Dollar Store. I got a 2 Pack for only $4!!

Tell em your story bout not being able to hit nuttin & each miss costs you a tail...mebbie they will give you a price break!!

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
NAAAAAAH---he better just by in bulk and save even more money

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
mccoy said:
An old Lee bottom pour electric pot and a Lee .490 mould. I have a pretty nice supply of pure lead, and that makes it easy.
Nice!

I am getting the same setup shortly... was looking at that for some time now. Will be using it for my T/C renegade since it likes the roundballs.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lol....I seem to recall hearing a shot from your direction that didn't produce a deer too....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts