The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any reasonably priced made in the USA rods available anymore?

Need to replace my made in China Rapala brand rod.

Thanks

·
Registered
120 Posts
South Bend. Price wise it is cheap. Had a 8ft surf pole for 3 years now. Has great support and holds on it. Pulled in a 3ft shark with no problem. The company also has a great customer service reputation. I snapped the tip on my old pole, they replaced it free of charge in under a month!!

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
I like my ugly sticks. Are they USA made??

I guess I will google that.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Sorry reasonably priced and made in the USA don't go real well together in the same sentence. That's why they are made here because they are paying a guy 18bucks an hr plus hospitalization to make a rod vs .25c a day like china. Not saying you cant find a good US rod for a good price but average they are 150.00+ G Loomis Sage Lamaglas St Croix

Check EBAY for a good mint Pre owned US rod. I got burned one time on there guy sold me a 200.00 Loomis and said it was mint and it came and it was beat to heck and plus had his name on it and never told me. so I just snap it over my knee and sent it in and they gave me a new one. What are ya looking for? ill keep my eyes open? Spin rod? how long? fast action? Power? line wt?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Kistler Custom Rods, Magnolia TX. Their KLX line is new for 2013 and the blanks are from North Fork which is a Gary Loomis company.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the Falcon rods have what I am looking at.

Basically a light 4-6 pound test rod for stocked trout to replace one that got broke (Rapala brand)

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
blitzinstripes said:
St Croix. Great quality . More than the made in china crap but won't break the bank either. Good mid price rods.
Watch the 'Mojo' series is made in Mexico...

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some St Croix is now made in China. The last light trout pole I had from them was. It broke.

I will look at Star rods.

·
Registered
19,644 Posts
Fenwick is still made in the good ole USA

·
Registered
19,644 Posts
RedWolf23 said:
No Fenwick is china now.
I still have a few that I use for saltwater fishing and they are over 25 years old and in great condition. Since they are now made in China I would have to think real hard about purchasing new ones.
What a shame

·
Registered
813 Posts
Yeah No doubt Birch I hate to hear when a Old US company makes a great product for so many years and they decides to send their operation overseas. Same as Orvis They use to be #1 in fly fishing. Now they arnt even in the top 10. and now the majority of there stuff is now made in china instead of England or here.
My buddy and i were talking the other day and its amazing how there is maybe one or two spin reels made here in the us and i couldnt even name one, penn might have a us made one still, maybe! But now fly reels almost every single company has them made here, Ross,Galvan,Abel,Tibor,Bauer,Hatch,Teton,Lambson and a pile of others are made here. that sure is nice to see how many fly reels are made here. why not spin reels? who knows. Also same as spin rods vs. fly rods. alot more fly rods made here then spin rods. I always buy US if i have the option, In my trade I build 1000's of parts for just about every american product made and it means alot to me.

·
Registered
19,644 Posts
Pure Fishing Inc.(Jardin industries) is the parent company for Penn and Shakespeare.
Penn's Internationals, Torques, and those products costing over $150 are still made in the U.S.

I know they still have the Penn Reel plant down in North Philly. Usually if we are working down that way I will take in my reels over during the winter to have them cleaned and repaired. The saving on the shipping almost pays for the service. The rate is still a good value and many of the mechanics are the old timers. Reels come back working like new.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts