The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying a Mac's River Runner Prop Guard to put on my small outboard. Any opinions on this product? It looks as if you have to drill a few holes in the skeg to install?

·
Premium Member
23,654 Posts
I put the below Mac River Prop Guard on my 25 Johnson several years ago & it has performed well in the rocks below Conowingo Hydro Plan(Lower Susky) and the prop eating Chincoteague oyster beds. Boat is a Lund 16' SSV. Before prop guard I was lucky to get a trip where I wasn't doing prop damage. I went with the trolling style based on a friends recommendation who fished same areas as me. Skeg needs to be drilled for installation.

You will be well pleased with a Macs!!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
A cheaper way is to mount a pitchfork on the lower unit with hose clamps. Mount it with the points of the fork towards the prop so the back of the fork hits the obstruction and moves the lower unit away from whatever it is hitting and protects the prop.

·
Premium Member
23,654 Posts
A cheaper way is to mount a pitchfork on the lower unit with hose clamps. Mount it with the points of the fork towards the prop so the back of the fork hits the obstruction and moves the lower unit away from whatever it is hitting and protects the prop.
Definitely cheaper but prop is still exposed to damage when backtrolling, reverse and drift fishing over hazzards. I used pitchforks and similar but ended up going with a Macs and have had zero prop damage going on 8 years now fishing tuff areas. It has paid for itself many, many times.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Agreed, but for normal running around on a river it works well. Not everyone knows about back trolling for flounder. :)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I put the below Mac River Prop Guard on my 25 Johnson several years ago & it has performed well in the rocks below Conowingo Hydro Plan(Lower Susky) and the prop eating Chincoteague oyster beds. Boat is a Lund 16' SSV. Before prop guard I was lucky to get a trip where I wasn't doing prop damage. I went with the trolling style based on a friends recommendation who fished same areas as me. Skeg needs to be drilled for installation.

You will be well pleased with a Macs!!

Thanks, I'm mostly taking it in the Schuylkill and back bays/rivers near the Delaware Bay. It's not cheap, but neither is replacing props.

I think the trolling style is more for keeping downrigger cables out of the prop?

·
Registered
10,459 Posts
I have an OMC guard similar to Loggy's. It works great but it does cut the top end down and sometimes small stones get stuck between the guard and the prop and causes the engine to stall. I use mine on the Susquehanna and have not had to dress the prop in years.

The Mac's unit may be better than my OMB because it looks like there is more clearance between the guard and the prop and that may eliminate the stone problem.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Not sure how old your motor is but any drilling into the Skeg may void the Warranty.
I have a custom made guard on my motor from a guy in Perry Co.
I lost his contact # and name.
I've seen many of the Pitchfork set ups on the Susqy.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had my Johnson dealer install mine. Motor was out of warranty but a good point to ck if still in warranty.
Warranty not an issue, it's a Briggs & Stratton 5 HP (air cooled), about 10 years old. I'm lucky to even find parts or get anyone to work on it these days.

·
Registered
10,459 Posts
Considering its a 5hp engine I think your wasting your money that is if you could even find a guard to fit. The guard will affect performance and there is very little performance to spare with a 5hp motor. The skeg and the anti ventilation/cavitation plate is probably too thin to provide the strength necessary to mount it.

WW's pitchfork may be your best option.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts