The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some boats switching over to mack's.High seas and cold weather comming but 1st nice break would like to get out.
Any good recipes out there? Last time I smoked them not so good.I might try canning this time and differnt smoke recipe.
Fun to catch and always good for bait.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
You talking Spanish? Where you catching Mackeral?

I catch them on the bay mid - late august into sept. I put them in a beer batter and deep fried them.. Some of the finest eating fish i've ever had!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No,Atlantic, google it.mostly a north Jersey thing.If you bye smoked mackeral in a can like sardines its this fish.I also see it fresh & vacume seald in the fish section.Around Easter some church/fire companys serve Irish berakfast,mackeral and boild potatoes.They average 12 to 16 inches and run 10-12 miles off shore.They are strong oily tasting Some people like them but the last 100 or so I Caught maybe 12 where eaten,the rest went for bait.
Catching these are all about numbers not size so if you don't have a use for them its a waist.
What are you catching? Kings?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
We fish for Spanish Mackeral in the bay in late summer. Water temps have to be high and salinity levels have to be high as well. Spanish Mackeral will come all the way up to annapolis bay bridge feeding on bay anchovies and other small minnows. We troll for them. It's more for "meat" than anything as they swim at like 10-15 knots. We troll at 7-8 knots. when they hit the lure, they generally tear their gills and you real in basically a dead fish. lol but man are they tasty! Some guys throw lures to them with spinning gear. That makes some great fun as you really get a good fight with a torpedo on the end of your line! Here's a good day around bloody point....20 mackeral. a few short of a limit, but we decided 20 was enough for the day. was enough just filleting 20 of them!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice catch.They are on my want to get one list but arn't too plentyfull North end of the Mud Hole.We troll the inshore lumps up there and only hear of 1 or 2 boats getting into them.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Yeah dont' think they really get up past the bridge in too great of numbers. we got those right inside bloody pt, in eastern bay... we generally troll that area and south of there along poplar island. when the mack's are in the area, we generally find a few in those areas. WE lucked out the day from above. found a herd school of macks breakin' and no one else (or the birds) had found them. Fish would be on the surface for about a minute, then they'd dive again, then pop back up about 100 yards away. we'd make a pass through the school, catch 3 or 4, then turn and swing through them again. Was some crazy fishing!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts