The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

Registered
Battery cases cracking.....Testla batteries catching fire....limited range (250 miles) of most. Bla, bla, bla. How many miles did a person get from a Model T? How many times did the Model T get a flat during a trip? How smooth was the Model T ride?

This "stuff" is in it's infancy.

BTW, Mercedes has stopped all funding in it's internal combustion engine development. All those R&D $$$ are focused on electric development.

Model T......meet electric.
Infancy? Until when? Another thirty years like the eco-whackjobs want to be all electric? By that time, there will be another twenty million drivers on the road. Electric may work for city driving but large scale? Electric transportation replacing all ICE based is a flawed hypothesis. It'd be a flop now if it weren't for government subsidies and tax credits. As far as energy efficient? I'd rather haul around a 25 gallon (300 lbs. max) instead of a 1200 pound battery to go 300 miles. It takes ENERGY to haul that weight but that seems to be lost in the hype.

Registered
Two largest lithium producers in the world are CHINESE. One controls 40% of battery lithium productions. We are energy independent. Continue with ICE and we remain energy independent. Go electric and where are we? More dependent on CHINA! The insanity never ends.

Registered
....China is THE TOP manufacturer of electric vehicle batteries...no jobs for USA.
Mining and drilling for resources to make THESE ELETRIC CAR BATTERIES will not be done in the USA..remember oldaz biden put a stop to it here.

How far does a diesel big rig travel before filling up?

TESLA seems to be on track..

...the only issue I see with these is all that aerodynamic skirting on these rigs will be ripped off on all the POS PA roadways
Lot of hype there from Tesla, proof will be in the pudding.
will be interesting to see how they do in a Rocky Mountain blizzard or North Eastner.

Reactions: ruger300

Registered
Buzz....your numbers are the MAXIMUM time it takes to charge a battery from it's lowest (dead) possible charge. Do you run out of gas and then fill up your vehicle? Not so much.

And BTW, it can take 6 hours to charge a Testla.
That鈥檚 the problem, it鈥檚 fine for short trips but the technology does not yet exist to quickly recharge electric vehicles in a way that allows for long distance travel nor does the current infrastructure support widespread charging of electric vehicles.

Battery cases cracking.....Testla batteries catching fire....limited range (250 miles) of most. Bla, bla, bla. How many miles did a person get from a Model T? How many times did the Model T get a flat during a trip? How smooth was the Model T ride?

This "stuff" is in it's infancy.

BTW, Mercedes has stopped all funding in it's internal combustion engine development. All those R&D $$$ are focused on electric development.

Model T......meet electric.
The difference is that the internal combustion engine over took horse transport because it was a better method of transportation not because the government was forcing people to change. And it took several decades for car technology to reach the stage that it offered enough advantages to end several millennia of people riding animals as the main method of transportation.

The problem is when mandates like this are created more money is spent developing a 鈥済ood enough鈥 product for market instead of spending it on R&D to develop the technology to the point that I provides enough advantage that people actively want to buy what they are selling. Just look at solar panels, the only reason people buy them is because the government subsidizes it so much, otherwise you are paying to install equipment with a 15 year service life that takes 30 years to break even.

I believe that the technology and infrastructure will one day be in place for electric cars but that day is not today.

Registered
What A Steaming crock of Dog, Pig and Horse excrement. Take a look at this " Electric Coalition" website. They "claim" this is all to make America more secure and not depend on "unstable foreign oil" Well Duh, Didn't Trump solve that problem and now that tard, O'Biden broke it ? Ive never seen so many people Lie and Cheat to advance whatever they are trying to advance ( Probably just their own wealth) Have they never heard of " Thou shall not bear false witness" ?

They all deserve to be beat to a bloody pulp with a copper pipe. But where we will get all the copper necessary to go all electric ? - China of course

Registered
The dinosaur died. Bobby Knight's old methods are gone. The horse and buggy are gone.

Can't drive to FL in one charge? Help out an industry.....Fly.

Long haul trucks will still need to be fuel driven. Electric is coming....OPEC will no longer be in control. Electric infrastructure will need upgraded and create well paying jobs. Recycling plants will create well paying jobs for battery disassembly and reuse.

Get outta the stone age.

It's called progress.

Registered
鈥.speaking of stone ages鈥

one volcanic eruption puts ALL this 鈥済reen feel good effort鈥 back over 75 years鈥.

鈥ow many volcanic eruptions has the earth had in the last 50 years?

Registered
The dinosaur died. Bobby Knight's old methods are gone. The horse and buggy are gone.

Can't drive to FL in one charge? Help out an industry.....Fly.

Long haul trucks will still need to be fuel driven. Electric is coming....OPEC will no longer be in control. Electric infrastructure will need upgraded and create well paying jobs. Recycling plants will create well paying jobs for battery disassembly and reuse.

Get outta the stone age.

It's called progress.
First, I dont want to fly. Second, if I have to move anything, I cant fly.

As was explained to you before, ICE took more than half a century to replace the horse. EV is fine, it just isnt there yet. OPEC wasnt in control in 2020.... they are now.

A pickup that has a 1 axle to e motor drive would be an amazing vehicle. The amount of instant torque applied to the ground would be awesome. However, there is NO EV pickup that can currently function like a ICE pickup. There are a few concept SUV's with beds, but exactly nothing that can do the job a ICE PU can. That Musk thing that they call a PU says it has a 500mi range. True, unloaded in mild temps. Any kind of towing drops the range to 100 or less, any hot weather drops the range, use of the AC or heat drops the range, and you still cant charge it in a reasonable amount of time with any voltage.

So totally ignoring the slave labor and envriomental impact that is needed just to produce the batteries that there is no way to recycle, the same LI batterys that fail cell by cell and further drop the range, (FYI the tesla warranty only covers the batteries that fail 100% something that probably wont happen in 100K, 50+% yes) pretending that there is a practical use for most of the world for a vehicle that is only usable for 6 hours or less a day, and that someone can bend over and squeeze out a power grid that would make even that feasible, EV is a great idea.

Registered
Never owned one never will. I have driven a hybrid Ford Escape, didn't like it.
An automobile or truck should have the ability to rattle windows, if one is so inclined.馃榾
I owned a Ford Escape Hybrid for 4 years, I was the second owner. Worked fine but the fact is my daily commute of 15 miles across the Lehigh Valley using city streets resulted in no better mileage than my second Ford Escape which has a 2.5 L 4 cylinder gas engine. Now when we did a summer vacation and drove from here to Orlando Florida and back for 3 weeks the highway miles, AC running, luggage, family of four - 36 mpg was fantastic. But daily usage that Hybrid did not live up to the hype. Oh and during December to March I had to keep a blanket in the car because the engine would not build up enough heat for the passenger compartment for over 20 minutes. Not nice.

Administrator
To sum it up.
"Dear Gubermint, You provide the power, the charging stations, and other infrastructure required to support EVs, while charging it all to the taxpayers. Then we'll reap the profits from building and selling them. Of course, with the usual kickbacks to those of you who help us."

Registered
I have an electric EZ-GO cart that is highly modified for hunting. I've swapped out the previous 8 flooded lead acid batteries that weighed 65-lb each (total of 520-lb) and installed a repurposed 14 pack of Nissan Leaf Lithium batteries. The Lithium pack weighs 130-lbs. So, weight savings is 390-lbs.

I get twice the milage (from 12 miles to 25 miles) run time with the Lithium, and there is ZERO maintenance with the Lithium. No monthly terminal gunk to clean, no gassing when charging, no water levels to check, not necessary to plug in the charger every time I use the cart.

The electric motor gives instant torque and with the limited slip differential I've installed, there are not that many places it wont take me where a gas UTV will go. Plus.....no gas smell....no fume smells....and for hunting, that means no screaming at the game my location.

Ford has introduced it's F-150 all electric truck. Yeah.......Ford constantly out paces the other Truck makers with ingenuity and progress.

No more model T's.

Registered
97% (IIRC) of those LA batteries is recycled

Registered
Well....not to be a SA, but 100% of lithium batteries are recyclable.
No.
97% estimated only for small electronic batteries involving smelting the basics out causing emissions. Nothing for anything the size of solar storage or EV.
As of May 2021, there are 5 companies claiming that their process will work. 5 ways to make the electric vehicle battery more sustainable

In the 30's Werener Von Braun developed a rocket to go to the moon. It took 50 years to do it. EV is an idea that has merit, its time is not now.

Reactions: lynxone
21 - 40 of 50 Posts