The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking of getting a machete to clear out some thick stuff while I'm scouting. Anyone have any suggestions to what is junk and what might last a while?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I had a cheap one from harbor freight for a while. Lost it in the woods somewhere. It was nice for the $5 or whatever I paid for it, but would dull very quickly and wouldn't hold an edge for long. My buddy had a Gerber that was far superior. I had never used one before but I was quite impressed with the effectiveness of it.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I have one that my son brought home from Indonesia about 20 years ago that was hand made. It does have a real long blade about 3 1/2 feet plus a handle that's made for both hands. They used them on the rubber plantations. Sharp as all get out. I have a cheap one that I bought at Wally World is ok for real light cutting.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Usually see the Gerber Jr. and longer Gerber on sale for 14.99 and 19.99. I have the Jr. The saw on the back of the blade works ok too.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I have one from Ontario knife company with a black "D" handle and coated blade. 22". Very happy with it. Once you learn to use it correctly, you won't know how you ever cleared shooting lanes etc before. I can easily cut through 2" + limbs with one swing.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I have used the crap out of my Gerber machete in my battle against ailanthus. Liked it enough to buy a second one.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Second woodsmans pal. A rugged piece of equipment. My step father used one for years and now it's mine and it still as good as the first day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts