The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend is into older military items. He is looking to purchase one of these. He is working with a limited budget. Was wondering where these can be purchased and what a fair price is? Appreciate any info, I don't know anything about them. thanks.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there someplace that sells alot of surplus ones where you could look over a few and compare?

·
Super Moderator
7,776 Posts
Stetam said:
$595 from the CMP

That's the way to fly. The req's to purchase from them seem complicated, but it's pretty easy. Mail order a Service Grade and you'll get a good shooter-grade rifle.

Camp Perry, OH is about an 8 hour drive. I did it to get my first M1. It is a GREAT experience, and you'll be able to pick through several HUNDRED M1's, and the staff at the store will be as helpful as can be when you are making a decision. You'll spend an extra $100 in gas, and a few bucks on a hotel (I did it all in one day, not recommended, but interesting!), but the experience is amazing.

If one wants a good M1 and doesn't want to swim with the sharks at a gunshow, check out CMP.

Also, there's one for sale now in the Classifieds here that looks decent.

·
Super Moderator
7,776 Posts
buckhunter said:
stetam what is CMP?
Civilian Marksmanship Program.

CMP

Money spent with them supports shooting sports, particularly programs for junior shooters. Great place to do business. I have 3 CMP rifles with a 4th soon to come (Buying a CMP M1 from a local guy on Friday....I'll post pics if you like.)

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys I'll definetly be looking into camp perry and let him know, I really appreciate the help.

·
Super Moderator
7,776 Posts
The only caution for driving to CMP's North Store (Camp Perry) is that the selection is a tad limited right now (from reports on their forum) and the national matches are sometime in the summer (it will be a MADHOUSE during the matches).

Also, Service Grades aren't in the stores. You CAN mail order them, however. Be prepared for a multi-month wait if you mail-order, but it's worth it. The Service Grade is the way to fly for a good, sound rifle that may or may not be highly collectible. If you want "correct" parts or other collector features, you'll need to move up to a Correct Grade or Collector Grade. It'll cost, though.

·
Super Moderator
7,776 Posts
And one extra tidbit....

Tell your buddy that the M1 has a specific diet it needs to be fed. You cannot simply run commercial .30-06 hunting ammo through it without running the risk of damaging the operating rod (which will be costly to replace).

There is reloading data for the M1 in the Hornady reloading manual. Also, CMP sells surplus ammo loaded to US M2 Ball spec's, which is what you want for an M1.

Lots of new M1 owners just grab whatever '06 ammo they have on hand and run it through the M1. It might work ok, but serve it enough ammo that's too hot for the M1 and eventually it'll get locked up with a bent op rod. Then it's a $100+ repair.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Try:

Surplus City,
302 Bustleton Pike
Langhorne, PA 19053
(215) 364-7130

They have a whole wall of Garands for $400 each. These would be the equivalent of CMP rack grades.

They imported a couple hundred of them from somewhere overseas.

·
Super Moderator
7,776 Posts
Interesting, I might have to check that place out myself.

Big thing to check on Garands at that level would be the muzzle. Helps to have muzzle gauges, but that's not always available. Look at the muzzles carefully. When I pick up my correct SA 5.8 rifle on Friday, I'll try to take a pic of the muzzle. It's a 1.0 on the gauge, which is nearly new. Compare that to what is seen and see how worn they are.

The less wear, obviously, the better.

·
Registered
889 Posts
If you have never been to Camp Perry then you should go. It is a great place for shooters. There are a lot of great guys there.

I worked for a gun company and picked up five Garands, and 35,000 rounds of ammo. Yes 35,000 rounds. A friend and I shot all year trying to improve our skills. We decided we wanted to go to Camp Parry and give those old timers a good licking. So after a year of practice we went to Camp Perry for a shoot.

When we walked up to the firing line their was a half dozen old "grunts" just practicing at the 600 line. I could not believe how well those old "grunts" could shoot. One of them asked me if we brought a rifle with us, we told him no(we had 3 in the trunk). There was no way I was going to let those guys make a fool out of me. I thought we could shoot until we saw those guys shoot.

So we did put some lead down range with their rifles. They were a great bunch of guys. But now I know why the Marines won the war!! Tom.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys I really appreciate all the help, I'll pass this along to my friend and if you guys have pics when you get yours by all means post them. thanks again.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Definitely head to the CMP "North Store." Sign up on the CMP website to get their newsletter and catalogue as well. Once you own one, you'll understand why so many shooters have been enamored by this rifle. It is robust, well made, and can be very accurate. And it represents a piece of history from an era that saw America rise to her greatest challenge.

Back in April, I pulled my 1939-vintage SA M1 from the safe where it's been for a very long time, stripped it, and gave it a good cleaning and once-over. While I had it apart, I epoxied a small crack in the upper handguard that I've been neglecting for too many years. And since I had everything dismantled, I took the wood and lightly steel-wooled the walnut and added a couple more coats of oil over the next two days and then let it dry. Put it back together and have been getting out and shooting it for the last month.
A "before" picture, amidst cries from the wife as to "why does the basement smell like solvents?":

Ready to go:

At the range:

·
Super Moderator
7,776 Posts
Nice rifle. Wouldn't a '39-vintage have flush-nut or lockbar sights and be a Gas Trap, not Gas Port, rifle?

I certainly am not finding fault, just curious. It's a beauty of a rifle.

Tomorrow can't come soon enough...picking up an outstanding 5.8mil range SA rifle in the afternoon. Near the tail end of M1 production, and looks like a nearly new rifle. It originally came from CMP's north store, and the guy selling it to me needs the funds to finish a Winchester M1 off (needed a correct stock and barrel for it...and Winnie's bring a premium).

I'll try to round up my 4 CMP rifles tomorrow afternoon and take a pic.

·
Registered
378 Posts
tdd said:
Nice rifle. Wouldn't a '39-vintage have flush-nut or lockbar sights and be a Gas Trap, not Gas Port, rifle?

I certainly am not finding fault, just curious. It's a beauty of a rifle.

Tomorrow can't come soon enough...picking up an outstanding 5.8mil range SA rifle in the afternoon. Near the tail end of M1 production, and looks like a nearly new rifle. It originally came from CMP's north store, and the guy selling it to me needs the funds to finish a Winchester M1 off (needed a correct stock and barrel for it...and Winnie's bring a premium).

I'll try to round up my 4 CMP rifles tomorrow afternoon and take a pic.
I am not in the league of a Scott Duff when it comes to M1 acumen, so I'm still learning about them. As for the lockbar sights, I'm not sure when they were implemented. I've never read Duff's book but it sounds like something I should get and I'm still nosing my way around the CMP forums to learn about them. As for my '39, it's an early gun, but not all original. S/N is below 92,000, the bolt has been replaced and it was rebarreled in 1963. It has the poppet valve as well as a NM operating rod. An old Marine owned this gun. I know he shot it along with others. At the time, I'd never researched these and didn't know the first thing about them, only that I wanted to get one. I bought it because it was in what looked to be nice shape, and it's proven itself as it functions and shoots well. If it's to be called a "parts gun" it doesn't bother me. I intend to the change the sights for NM front and rear as these are too crude for my feeble eyes.

·
Super Moderator
7,776 Posts
I'm not a "correct" rifle kinda guy, either. My current M1 is a Greek return Rack Grade that I drove out to Perry to get. The "new" one I'm getting tomorrow was also bought on-site at Perry, just not by me originally.

Your rifle was almost certainly a gas trap to start it's life. I belong to the GCA and get the quarterly journal. They have pics of M1's in the hands of troops stationed in Iceland in 1940, and they are a mix of gas traps and gas port rifles.

Is that a Schuster gas plug valve you have? I've thought about getting one for my rifle. Do you like it?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts