The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for a garand. dont care about make as long as its functional and not shot out or in bad shape basically a service grade. would order from cmp but id rather not wait.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Curious to see if you went through with the order from the CMP?
Also what grade did you go with?
Are you looking for one to use or to have just because?
I only ask because I ordered one on the 14th, have you heard anything yet?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Curious to see if you went through with the order from the CMP?
Also what grade did you go with?
Are you looking for one to use or to have just because?
I only ask because I ordered one on the 14th, have you heard anything yet?
yes i sent in my order about two weeks ago, i was getting antsy and sent them an email about lead times, theyre just now working on early march orders. so im guessing well be waiting awhile before we see ours. i noticed on the website they have the service grade marked sold out but on facebook they said once theyre caught up they take down the sold out items which is a little confusing. i went with a service grade. i almost went with a winchester field grade special for $700 since it has a new barrel but i was afraid it would be too pitted up. i plan on shooting it at my clubs garand matches when ever they start again, also im hoping that sooner rathwr than later pa will get with the times and i can use it to deer hunt with.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Exactly my thought, I went with the special grade.... I am willing to risk it with the pitting..... my plan is to "modernize" it with no permanent mods, but just some things to help it be a useful and capable deer rifle. I'm gonna use a holbrook to ensure the clip stays put, then mount a m1a scope mount (over reciever mount), adjustable gas plug and topped it with a leupold 4-x40.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Exactly my thought, I went with the special grade.... I am willing to risk it with the pitting..... my plan is to "modernize" it with no permanent mods, but just some things to help it be a useful and capable deer rifle. I'm gonna use a holbrook to ensure the clip stays put, then mount a m1a scope mount (over reciever mount), adjustable gas plug and topped it with a leupold 4-x40.
Just got an update on my garand. Order went thru and is awaiting shipment. I can barely wait!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I drove out to the CMP store at Camp Perry Ohio last week. They're currently open by appointment only, but they have some walk in's available also. You can pick your garand right off the rack. Long drive for me in Central, PA but I'm glad I did it...cool experience

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I drove out to the CMP store at Camp Perry Ohio last week. They're currently open by appointment only, but they have some walk in's available also. You can pick your garand right off the rack. Long drive for me in Central, PA but I'm glad I did it...cool experience
one of these days im gonna get out there. Really long drive here from southeast pa

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
one of these days im gonna get out there. Really long drive here from southeast pa
Yeah it was about 10 hours round trip for me. Nice area though, right on the lake. Under different circumstances I might have considered spending a few days fishing or just vacationing. The selection right now is the best that it has been in a long time. When I went, there was numerous bolt actions, 1903, 03a3, 1917, even Krag's...they're usually very hard to come by. In fact that's the only reason that I went. I suspect that they stocked up all the good stuff for their "grand opening" of the new store location(which was ultimately cancelled by virus concerns).

·
Registered
134 Posts
Welp, itll be here monday, I got an early serial 2743xx looks to be a june 1941 rifle. This mind you is a rifle I intend to add a Holbrook, bm59 scope mount and use for deer hunting in WV! I plan to try for a cmp rm1special when they become available again! I'll keep that one iron sight or maybe a scout scope mount! I'm pumped to see this thing on monday!!!!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welp, itll be here monday, I got an early serial 2743xx looks to be a june 1941 rifle. This mind you is a rifle I intend to add a Holbrook, bm59 scope mount and use for deer hunting in WV! I plan to try for a cmp rm1special when they become available again! I'll keep that one iron sight or maybe a scout scope mount! I'm pumped to see this thing on monday!!!!
Mine hasn’t shipped yet. Hopefully soon. Im chomping at the bit to shoot mine. Post some pictures when you get her!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I am completely blown away by the condition of this rifle. I had expected the worst when I ordered it, I mean it's a rack grade but it is in unbelievably good shape. It has what I'd consider mild pitting, the stamp is still visible and most part, from what I could tell are all Springfield.. plus the new stock, barrel and all it's way better than I could have hoped for!
One thing to note is it was bone dry, not a lick of oil or grease. I was worried at first when I racked it, it was very tough to work so I tore it down and everything was completely dry, lubed up and shes running smooth as a brand new rifle should!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am completely blown away by the condition of this rifle. I had expected the worst when I ordered it, I mean it's a rack grade but it is in unbelievably good shape. It has what I'd consider mild pitting, the stamp is still visible and most part, from what I could tell are all Springfield.. plus the new stock, barrel and all it's way better than I could have hoped for!
One thing to note is it was bone dry, not a lick of oil or grease. I was worried at first when I racked it, it was very tough to work so I tore it down and everything was completely dry, lubed up and shes running smooth as a brand new rifle should!
View attachment 157266 View attachment 157267 View attachment 157268 View attachment 157269 View attachment 157270
man thats a beautiful piece! Cant wait to get mine! Did you get an email that it was shipping or did you go onto the e store and check?

·
Registered
134 Posts
man thats a beautiful piece! Cant wait to get mine! Did you get an email that it was shipping or did you go onto the e store and check?
I got an email the morning it shipped. But I was checking the estore pretty everyday once my order was stamped paid.... like an impatient child before Christmas...

I have wanted to get into an m1 of some sort for about 16 years. I just could never justify paying 1800$ for a new m1a model, and used arent a whole lot cheaper. I had never heard of the CMP until this past winter. I realize most guys want the historic value of the Garand, but personally I wanted a shooter something that I wasnt afraid of carrying on the woods, or putting a bunch of rounds down range with! With out a doubt this is the best 650$ I've spent on a firearm. They do an awesome job restoring these weapons and IMO itd be doing the rifle a disservice to not have it as a shooter. Granted I'd probably not be toting one that was not restored because there is historic value there, but they are every bit as capable as a cmp special grade.
If this is your first, I hope you are as blown away as I was opening this thing!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts