The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question in regards to the "5 round magazine" and M1 Garands. M1's load a clip, not a detachable magazine and I know you can get 5 round clips. So my question is this; when you insert the clip, are you inserting it into a magazine? in other words, is that part on the action consider a magazine? Because if it is a magazine, even though you may load a 5 round clip, the magazine capacity would still be 8 rounds.

·
Super Moderator
7,820 Posts
It's no different than an AR with a 5rd magazine. The rifle is still capable of receiving a 30rd (or more) capacity magazine.

In the Garand system, the follower and associated mechanism to function the follower, are contained in the rifle, not the magazine.

The clip that feeds it holds the ammunition.

I would think you wouldn't have any issue at all if you have a Garand with 5rd magazines. Have an 8-rounder on you, even an empty one, and you'd face a violation if the WCO were so inclined and knew you had the 8rd clip.

Functionally, this is no different than feeding an AR off a 5rd mag. I can't imagine the PGC would want to split this hair.

·
Registered
11,125 Posts
You can load 5 rounds into an M1 clip but I can see where that would be an issue while hunting. Realistically the new semi auto law should allow 10 rounds. It would solve some problems for guys who want to use their military weapons.

I have purchased 5 round clips but I have read where the 8 round clip is easy to modify. I may have to try it and see how hard it is.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The way I see it, putting a 5 round clip in a M1 would be no different than putting 2 rounds in unplugged shotgun and going small game hunting. Without doing something to limit the movement of the follower, the magazine capacity is still 8 rounds.

On a sidenote; there was a post here at lunchtime that's not here now, where it go?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I get what you're saying but thats really splitting hairs. As long as the clip doesn't allow you to load more than 5rnds you should be fine. Perhaps you should reach out to the PGC before final approval is given to and have them change the wording before it is finalized.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I've easily made/converted 8 rnd clips into 2 and 5 rnd clips. A dremel with a cutting wheel and a pair of pliers is all that is needed. Two rounders are made by a lot of guys to use in 10 round matches. Made 3 rounders for my legion post for ceremonies

Reactions: jimsdad

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I've easily made/converted 8 rnd clips into 2 and 5 rnd clips. A dremel with a cutting wheel and a pair of pliers is all that is needed. Two rounders are made by a lot of guys to use in 10 round matches. Made 3 rounders for my legion post for ceremonies
Any problems with function? Did you use a factory 5rd as a model or just play it by ear? I'll have to try this because I have a ton of old 8 rounders laying around.

·
Super Moderator
7,820 Posts
Me too. I have a pile of Greek clips from HXP ammo that CMP used to sell. They aren't the BEST clips, but they work, and I've gotta have 50 of 'em.

·
Super Moderator
7,820 Posts
The rifle cannot, will not, is not able to function more rounds than a clip will accommodate.

Functionally, this is no different than the fact that an AR15 can run a 30 rd magazine or a 5 rd magazine. Just depends on which version of the magazine you take along.

This is why I wish they'd made a mag restriction of 10 and made it for ALL rifles, not just SA.

·
Registered
11,125 Posts
This post has me thinking. I hunted Maine for many years. The M1 was popular up there in the 60s and 70s. The popularity declined in the 80s and 90s because other semi autos like the BAR and 44 mag Ruger Deer Slayer hit the market. The M1 perked my interest but I never hunted with one. Now that we can use one in PA I may give it a try.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
No problem with function. I have a box full of original 8 rnd clips, so just used those. Number of years back I found a "how to" on line. Been a couple years since I even fired a cartridge rifle of any kind since I got into building flintlocks (only thing I've hunted deer with for last 25 yrs), so not sure if I can even find the ones I made. I'll look and see and post pics if I find them. Last time I even fired one of my Garands was after I accurized the one I had rebarreled in 308 and rebuilt it. I do need to get them on the range again sometime.

Found one 3 round modified clip. Used 308 dummy rounds for demo

3 rnd clips I made for my Legion post Honor Guard. For 5 rnd, insert 5 rnds, mark where the bottom of the last rnd is, cut with dremel metal cutting wheel and bend in with pliers. Now, I don't know if the Game Warden would approve as it is just as easily bent back to hold 8 rds again. But can more heavily modify if needed. This clip just holds the rounds in place so you can insert it and the follower engages. Simplest way I found and works. There are other ways to do it. but this is simplest I found

Reactions: jimsdad

·
Super Moderator
7,820 Posts
I've hunted in NC with my M1.

Some things to be aware of that aren't good about it for hunting---

1: You have to let the bolt slam front to chamber a round, and you can't do this quietly. You just can't. Loading it is going to be loud, there's just no way around that.

2: The safety is loud. It's going to "clack" when you disengage it. It's just going to be loud, and you can't ease it off and change that. I disengaged it very early on in a deer's approach for that reason.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
It depends on if the Garand is given a exception. It doesn't matter what one thinks, the Garand magazine will hold 8 rounds. That is the fact. You can load 8-5-2 and a SLED clips in the magazine. Those do NOT reduce the magazine capacity.
It needs to be penciled in as limited to 5 rounds, because a WCO would NOT be wrong writing you if you have a 5 or less round clip in the magazine with the restriction as written.

If we can use the Garand, I will likely just use a 2 and slide one into the chamber over top.

·
Super Moderator
7,820 Posts
Um....

If you use a 5-rd clip for a Garand, you cannot....CANNOT....load more than 5. Period.

It's functionally NO DIFFERENT than taking an AR with a 5rd mag. You use something other than a 5rd mag and you can load more. The rifle needs no modification in either case to change the capacity it holds

If the argument is that the Garand has an internal well that holds the clips and that well is big enough to hold 8, that just doesn't make sense to me. The AR has a magazine well that will hold magazines that will accommodate 100 rds.

All that said, I just emailed PGC to ask if they'd give me their perspective on the M1 Garand specifically.

We shall see what I get back from them.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
I've hunted in NC with my M1.

Some things to be aware of that aren't good about it for hunting---

1: You have to let the bolt slam front to chamber a round, and you can't do this quietly. You just can't. Loading it is going to be loud, there's just no way around that.

2: The safety is loud. It's going to "clack" when you disengage it. It's just going to be loud, and you can't ease it off and change that. I disengaged it very early on in a deer's approach for that reason.
So does it follow then that the deer / bear will wait to hear the enboc eject before mounting a counter attack?
Just kidding.

So - you load the weapon before or just after you enter the woods, and when you take off the safety you muffle it with your hand. Problems solved.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts