The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed a few threads regarding Lymes Disease recently and found that the difficulty in diagnosis of the disease seems to be all too common in each thread. I think it would be helpful to all who may be experiencing strange symptoms if those who have suffered with Lymes would share their stories. For example: what symptoms were experienced, how long the symptoms persisted, what types of treatments are available and work???

Anybody interested in sharing?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
438 Posts
I had it last year. Was experiencing knee pain. This is odd because I am only 19. Got the bloodwork done and it came back very positive. Took two months of medication to rid myself of it.

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
According to Dr. Gregory Bach lymes can look like any disease know to man.That is why diagnosis is so difficult.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I had a low grade fever for about 2 weeks. The headaches were horrible and joint pain was steadily getting worse. After 14 days on an antibiotic I felt alot better. My knees still ache from time to time though.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had it three years ago after my first hunting season. It started with horrible headaches and migraines for a week that would not go away and fevers. Then after about a week I felt better and thought I just had the flu or something. Then I saw the tell tale sign which was the large bulls eye on my hip. I had to take large pills twice a day for a month.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I've had it twice. Both times it started with headaches, then joint pain, then fatigue. It got to the point that between the aching joints and the fatigue I felt like a 95 year old frail man. I had no sign of a tic bite with a rash and my test for lymes came back negative. Doc told me the test is not always accurate so he treated me for it and the meds worked great. I was on them for 30 days each time. It's a terrible disease, and if it goes untreated it can cause some severe health problems. Unfortunately it has become more common in our area.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Deuce280 said:
Is true that if u don't catch it within a month of being bit you are stuck with it for life?
I don't believe that to be true (not 100% however). I was just recently tested by my Dr. and was told it may not show on a test right away. She recommended at least 30 days.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Duece, from my understanding (what the doctor told me), it i not something that stays with you for life after treated. The 30 day antibiotic is designed to kill the spirochete in the body. In my case, i still had knee pain after the first treatment so i was put on another 30 day cycle. I have not had any pain since and have experienced no long term side effects from my experience.

The most severe cases occur when the disease is not detected or left alone for an extended periods of time. Even after treatment, the damage done to the body can still cause problems for the rest of those people's lives.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Shottieman said:
Deuce280 said:
Is true that if u don't catch it within a month of being bit you are stuck with it for life?
I don't believe that to be true (not 100% however). I was just recently tested by my Dr. and was told it may not show on a test right away. She recommended at least 30 days.
I was bit last year and got it out within a few hours of being bit but I went to the doctor anyways. I had to wait 2 weeks to get blood tests cause I guess thats how long it takes to show up.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Those things scare me. I have had many of them dig in. First two times I went to a Dr. Second time I was loaded with them. The second Dr said that they have to be in the pupal stage and the ones that give you lymes are so small they are like a spot of pepper and that I probably wouldn't even know if I had one of them in me. I don't know what to think about them. I do know I don't like them and if I get any I keep checking for a bullseye. Wish there was a good way to be certain. Now I got some stuff for horses that I spray on my clothes and my dogs along with the normal precationary treatment and knock on wood and thank God that stuff seems to work good for me and my dogs.

·
Registered
438 Posts
That is correct Shottieman. The tick needs to be in a minimum of 24 hours and it could take up to 48 hours in order to transmit the disease. I did a report on this for my biology class this past semester so all of this information is still pretty fresh in my head.

Another thing to think about is that the spirochete sometimes will enter the cells and then lay dormant for anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of years. If this happens and you don't catch the bulls-eye rash, the symptoms may arise suddenly long after the rash is gone creating more difficulty in diagnosing the problem. Hiding in the cells, the spirochete can also be protected from antibiotics.

It really is a very fascinating and complex disease if you think about it. There are over 300,000 new cases of lyme disease every year in the united states. That is more than AIDS, West Nile, and Avian Flu combined. It truly is a very underrated epidemic.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
The list of symptoms I saw was like 70 symptoms long and some of the symptoms I had weren't on that list.

week-long persistent fever of 101-102.5
nagging cough
earache (BRUTAL earache)
burning sensation of forehead skin
scalp sensitivity (yes.... my HAIR hurt !!)
red blotches on the skin not associated with a bite site
body ache

3 weeks of doxy seem to have shed me of it.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I have been having a tough time finding much info mostly hearsay. A question I have regarding one of the above posts-- so if I get out the tick twister and pull all of those nasty buggers out of me right after I get out of the woods, would it be safe to say that I can't get lymes disease since I got it out before the minimum time of 24 hours? It is bad enough that I have to worry bout me getting it but what scares me is if I bring one in the house and it gets on one of my kids or my wife. I am (reluctantly but what choice do I have other than to stop hunting) willing to take the risk but it really bothers me that I could bring a disease like this to my family. Thanks in advance to those knowing. It sure would bring peace of mind. When I stopped at the company doctor at work and got all those marks checked when 7 of them dug in me he told me they had to be at a pupal stage and were only as big as a speck of pepper and that it is hard to get it said he just went to a seminar on it but I really don't have a lot of faith in everything he said. He made it sound like it was rare and hard to get but we hear about it a lot and the vet said bout every dog that walks in there tests postitive for lymes. One thing to note- I know there is not a lot known about the vaccination for your dog but you must get it before your dog contracts lymes so next dog I get as soon as it can get the shot it is going to get it. If your dog gets lymes between the vet bills and the test it cost me $250-$300. Shot is probably cheaper and once your dog has it, it will always test positive and the test for the "number" is quite expensive. Wish I could find a place to get the antibiotic and do like some of the people on here do-give them a cycle of it every 6 months.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts