The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been diagnosed with this and pneumonia. This is the worst ever. I know I will be looking for bug suits as I will not chance getting this again. Strange thing is this is by far the least I have been in the woods in many years. Be careful guys.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Yes, take care. Have a relative with advanced Lyme's - discovered years ago when it wasn't so well known. Many health issues that will never leave him. He may have had it for years before it was discovered as Lyme's. Get tested when you're at the dr. having blood drawn - doesn't cost much - I do when I'm in.

·
Registered
463 Posts
My 3 year old niece was diagnosed with it. She would have fevers, wake up at night screaming her legs would hurt, and sometimes she would fall over because her legs cramped up! It was scary to see! She has been on antibiotics for a month and is showing signs of improvement. I also came across an article that Yale Univ has found a new unnamed disease that is a cousin to the bacteria that causes Lymes Disease. It has similar symptoms, reoccurring fever even after treatment! I hate ticks more and more each day!

http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2013/01/17/yale-researchers-discover-new-tick-disease/

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the blood work came back negative for lymes, Dr took 7 more vials of blood for a retest and test for other things. I am also seeing a neurologist tomorrow for tests to see how the blood flow is in my legs. Dr. is confused on this one and I really want to be diagnosed with something so I can start meaningful treatment. Will keep ya updated.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
The BEST way to keep from contracting Lyme Disease is to Treat your Clothing with a Permethrin Based Product and or use DEET.
I Personally would Rather have the chemical in the Fabric of my Clothing then Sprayed Directly on my Skin like DEET is done, so I treat All my outdoors clothing with Permethrin! Clothing treated wiht Permethrin, the ticks will crawl up your pant legs and maybe if they are Lucky, get to your knee and fall right off DEAD! They normally do not reach your knee, they don't get to far up your pant leg and their legs absorb the permethrin and kills them DEAD!

Here is other information on the Homemade Permethrin spray many of us use.
http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthrea...rue#Post2862887

If you do not want to mix your own and Save money, there is always the products like Sawyer or No Stinkin Ticks sold in sporting goods stores and wally world that only treat 1 hunting suit and Cost alot more then Concentrate!

The Disease was First found in Lyme, Connecticut.

There is No S in name of the Town or the Disease, just to let some of you know who love adding an S to the disease name!

January Issue of Game News had an Article in it about Ticks, there is some Doctor that is studying ticks and Lyme Disease and is saying that if the tick gets on Deer, the Immune System of Deer kill the bacteria Borrelia burgdorferi that causes Lyme Disease!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Zark, I know from experience that the blood tests for lyme are not very reliable. If your doctor thinks you have lyme he should start treatment to see if you improve. I went through every test imaginable until I finally convinced my family doctor to try lyme treatment. After a couple weeks I started feeling better. I ended up going to several doctors that specialize in treating lyme and after five years of antibiotics I finally feel pretty good.

·
Registered
57 Posts
20 yrs. ago they thought I had lime .D. But wasn't. It was Sarcodis.Not sure of the spelling.Iwas really sick.Very bad cough.high fever and joints hurt.Had a very hard time get my breath.3 times to the emergency room before a young doc.found out what it was.Great Doctor!! There is not a cure for it but it MOSTLY can be controled. I have had very little trouble with it since.I can hunt,fish,trap or anything I want.It took me about 6 or 8 month to get over it.IT is in the lungs.I am 61 now and retired since sept.Hope to have a good retirement.Take care. Dog duster

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Zark, keep me posted brother and don't hesitate if there is anything I can do for you. stay in touch and more importantly GET BETTER!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just got back from dr's and no blood clots and the blood flow in legs are normal. I guess I'll just keep plugging away. Thanks 4c and will keep ya posted, gs cookies will be in soon and hopefully will bring kids up to play.

·
Registered
424 Posts
What made/makes you think it is Lyme?
First you said you were diagnosed, then you said blood tests were negative.

Just so you know (if you don't already), the blood test will be negative for a while after infection. They test for the antibodies, which take time for the body to produce. Lyme is a disease that produces symptoms of many others. Also, as far as I know, once your positive, you will always be positive. So a positive test could mean you were infected long ago, or a few months ago.

As I'm sure you are aware, the classic symptoms are a "bullseye rash" and flu like symptoms that last from a few days to a week. UNFORTUNATELY, the rash may or may not appear or may go un-noticed. The flu symptoms are often written off as just that, the flu. After that, most of the time all symptoms disappear and you feel fine... for months. THEN, if your unlucky, things get real scary.

The BEST thing to do is avoid getting infected to begin with. Like others have said, Permethrin IS the best preventative, but unfortunately, NOTHING is 100%. Check yourself or have someone help. If you suspect something, MOST doctors will prescribe a couple of weeks of Doxycycline as a precaution. In MOST cases, if caught very early, that SHOULD stop it. Don't be complacent, be aware of the symptoms even after you've been "treated", the treatment is NOT always 100% effective, and then of course, there is always the possibility that it is something else all together.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Been there and done that with Lyme. No fun, for sure.

Spray clothing with permetherin (roll pant legs inside out and spray the first foot or so of the inside too) and use DEET on your ankles, wrists/forearms and neck/hairline.

An ounce of prevention is worth a metric ton of cure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts