The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get the stalk cut on my deerstalker. Anyone know where i could have it done?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yes...remove the flexible ram rod and replace it with a rigid rod. I'm surprised you didn't read it in the Lyman manual....doesnt anyone read directions anymore?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need the stock shortened.i'm a short guy and the stock is about an inch and three quarter to long.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
If you could go to Dixon muzzleloader shop,they might do it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dixon doesn't do it i was there today, I live close by the shop.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hey I must apologize...I thought Rut was 'playin'...it wasn't till I re-read did I realize he misspelled. I removed the butt pad from from my 'Stalker' and replaced it with a thin pad. I too suffer from the short stature syndrome. It worked for me...good luck! And Sorry for being a wise cracker!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
where did you buy a thin pad. i have the foctory one off and the gun fits nice. thats the ansewer, thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well here's the problem...I'm a border line pack rat...with some things and I found an older unmarked pad which worked perfect. If you hunt around enough there are quite a few this rifle pads which will fit. I'm glad you've decided that without the pad it fits. I've often seen guys do more damage by the 'do-it yourself' stock cut. That is a 'fine' looking firearm so you dont want to booger it up. Keep looking...I work part time at BassPro...I'll check a couple we have against a 'stalker'.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks,let me know if you come up with anything.A guy told me you can buy a grind to fit pad but I don't know anything about them.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I don't know much about this, so a couple suggestions about where I would start. To have the stock cut, it seems straight forward for anyone who works with wood - so a local gunsmith, cabinet maker, carpenter, school shop teacher could possibly help? Probably would cost some, so if you want to swap for a thinner pad call Lyman since they may hear this often and possibly have a fix. Or, get the dimensions / gun model and call MIDWAY USA, NUMRICH or BROWNELLS. They sell all kinds of pads and their customer service might help? You could buy a another (thinner) one and install it. Found this video by Larry Potterfield of MIDWAYUSA doing just that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak4YeXEN5FI

·
Registered
151 Posts
I tried it...it wasn't anything with the recoil but it made the shouldering difficult...too many sharp edges caught on clothing.

·
Registered
461 Posts
ok, this may not be the solution. but to me its an idea. if the gun fits with out the recoil pad, and the recoil does `nt both you, why not get a but plate from somewhere and fit it to your gun. no stock cutting, and if you screw up the butt plate what did it cost you but a couple of buck, usually some on ebay

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
RUT-HUNTER said:
I would like to get the stalk cut on my deerstalker. Anyone know where i could have it done?
I don't know if you ever get up to the Wyalusing area, but Bill Yeager at Stoney Point Guns, 570-746-3589, did a great job on my wife's Lyman Deer Stalker. He cut an inch and a half off the stock and added a Boyd butt plate, She loves it.
The decelerator pads that are on the new Lyman Deerstalkers are over kill. Any butt plate you buy will probably need to be ground to fit even if you don't have to remove wood from the stock.
Lyman doesn't have offer anything that you can buy prefitted as a replacement.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks you guys really helped me out. the gun does fit with out the but plate, I'm going to measure the butt of the stock and order a thin butt plate from midway. Thats my plan anyway. hopefully everything will work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts