The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you recommend for bullet and powder. I am new to this. I have conicals now. Would like to know what you recommend as powder charge for conicals and any input you would like to add about anything or any load for this gun. It has the 1 in 48 twist barrel. Nice gun. I have had it several years and haven't shoot it much. I am thinking about hunting this flintlock season and any input would really be appreciated.
Thank you

·
Registered
410 Posts
You need to get out to the range to find what load combination your rifle prefers. I have the same rifle and the twist your rifle has is a happy medium for both conicals and round balls.What caliber is your rifle? 90 grains is a good place to start in 2 or 3F for a 50 or 54. Goex black powder is the best you can use as far as shooting goes. Swiss is better but cost alot more . I've been shooting flintlocks for years and found all kinds of info on the web; go to The Muzzleloader Forum you'll get all the information you'll ever need.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,
It is a .50 caliber. Any info is appreciated. I have 240 grain hornady conicals and Goex powder. I am going to have to look it might be a greater twist that 1 in 48 because the conicals say 1/66 twist and it these were the recommendation of the gun dealer.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry going to post this in the traditional forum.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
The Trade rifle has a 1/48, and the Great Plains has either a 1/66 or 1/32 depending on which model it is.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It has the 1/60 twist. Any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I use pa hunters from hornady 240 concals made for 1/66 with 85 grains ff powder. my greatplains is a great shooter and i have had ecxellent results on the range and in the field with them. best gun i ever purchased. a little hevy but looks nice.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
huntsmenbob said:
It has the 1/60 twist. Any info is appreciated.
I shoot round balls only, mine likes .490 balls, a .018 patch over 80 grains of 2f. Yours may vary somewhat, but it's a good starting point.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info. Especially the conical info. At least I know what to try. On another board a guy said he used 80 ff with the pa hunter 240 grain in the 1/48 twist Great Plains Hunter and could cut holes with them so I guess I will try 80 and 85 grains and see what works better. Mine is the 1/60 so I will try your load first and see how it shoots. It might be a while until I get to shoot but I will post how it shoots on here.
Thanks Guys

·
Registered
105 Posts
I also have a Great Plains 50 cal. but why can you only use a round ball. Thats what I have been using but I hit the deer and not a very good result.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
If you are not having good results,then you are not hitting the right spot.The RB is deadly on deer.They just don't live with a 1/2" in the heart or lungs.The Great Plains twist is designed especially for the RB.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts