The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can get Lyman deerstalker or Traditions Pa pellet for $291 and $279 . I have an early Lyman 45 caplock that was fine when I lived in NY, and Az. Now need flint. What are pros and cons of each.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I would go with the Lyman. I have a deerstalker and a friend has the traditions. I think that the lyman is just an all around better gun, mine shoots well also. The traditions just seems like it is not made as durable as the lyman is

·
Registered
410 Posts
Traditions just are not built well enough to last the test of time. They have poor fit at best plus the lock uses poorly made components. Get the best gun you can for your money. Lyman is a good choice TC is a good brand also.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Between the 2, Lyman I think is better made. I have both. Had a T/C I sold years back and that was a well made gun also, possibly better than the lyman.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
The older T/C's are indeed well built... I have both and consider the Lyman very well made and built for the long haul as well.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
You won't regret buying the Lyman. My experience with Tradions flintlocks was not good.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
tenniesgrandpa said:
Can get Lyman deerstalker or Traditions Pa pellet for $291 and $279 . I have an early Lyman 45 caplock that was fine when I lived in NY, and Az. Now need flint. What are pros and cons of each.
291 is a very good price for the deerstalker these days. I would get that one if I needed another Flinter.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
settle said:
Traditions just are not built well enough to last the test of time. They have poor fit at best plus the lock uses poorly made components. Get the best gun you can for your money. Lyman is a good choice TC is a good brand also.
this man knows his stuff....i agree 100%....lyman deerstalker is the way to go

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Hands down buy the Lyman.If you decide to sell the 45 I know of a guy looking to buy one of thoses.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Have a lyman deerstalker, great shooter. I am lookin into gettin another one, just priced at a local gun shop and they want 350.00. I paid 275 a few years back. Great flintlock!

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
When I got mine, it was in the neighborhood of 275.00. And it's a lefty which go for a little more... that was 2 or 3 years ago.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Its like asking should I buy the Ferrari or the Ford Taurus. Lyman all the way!( No disrespect to anyone driving a Ford Taurus! )

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well the Lyman price was off a little, ended up being $360 in left hand. It's still better than others, it will be in next week " they sold the last lefty yesterday. Holding both lyman and traditions its plain to see how much of a differance there is.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts