The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
Both Lyman and Thompson Center(older ones)are a good.Both carry lifetime warrenty.Lyman I can take to Dixons and have fixed and walk out.Thompson Center I must send the part and wait on return.Very few problems with either.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
i have a lyman deerstalker and it shoots very well for what it is. I have not even tried to shoot anything other than prb's out of it. If you are just going to use it to hunt with and shoot every now and then it is the way to go. If you are going to shoot a lot, I would go with a custom gun

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
my son has the great plains 1;66 twist its a tact driver [when the boy shoots good lol] bought my daughter the deer starker we only have maybe 50 to 70 rb though it and its coming around great [look in the threads down below took daughter shooting]in my opion the lymans are just a more reliable gun .for all around hunting shooting and just having fun.this is a great sport so injoy it

·
Registered
9,551 Posts
I would never buy a Lyman site unseen.I,ve seen em with nice fit and finish,and I,ve seen em with poor fit and finish.They do not have a l/time warranty.Their warranty stinks unless you got a shop like Dixon,s that everybody talks about that will stand behind their products.Their was a gun report on here not to long ago on how the Lyman Co. would not stand behing their product and more or less told the writer screw you on your complaints.I really considered one from DNRSports cause they were priced cheap.But they were really old inventory that they couldn,t sell and w/out seein it,I wasn,t goin to get a load of problems.Just make sure you can see it and hold it in your hands before you whip out any cash.Just my .02.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I have a GPR Percussion that shoots excellent. I had a GPR Flinter that was junk! The lock was sent back for repairs. I was sent a replacement that would not spark and had a gap between the lock plate and the barrel. The good part is that the Lyman stock has more drop than the T/C and is more comfortable to shoot. Yes, I also would not buy one unseen.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I have a Tc Hawken,a Austin & Hallek mountain rifle and had a great plains. If i had to pick one it would be the austin.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Lyman makes a nice gun. I am one who believes all muzzle-loaders (flintlock That is all I have ) must be tweaked. I have t/c , lyman and traditions each gun is different and once figured out they are all tack drivers. If there is a gap between lock and barrel then maybe inlet lock a little . NEVER saw a flintlock I did not want as my own

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a LH Deerstalker and imho- you need not look any further! I can accurately shoot roundballs and Powerbelts so I feel you get the best of both worlds

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
we had are ham shoot today we had 46 shooters i seen one T/C it was a older one and there were 7 lymans 5 traditions and the rest were custom guns take it for whats its worth

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
mountainman09 said:
we had are ham shoot today we had 46 shooters i seen one T/C it was a older one and there were 7 lymans 5 traditions and the rest were custom guns take it for whats its worth
TCs are usually a bit more money than Lyman and Traditions.

Those that have the money go custom once in knee deep.

That's my take.

·
Registered
12,264 Posts
Tc stock barrels are not the round ball tack drivers many other barrels are. In addition, I think most men of avearage or taller height find the Lyman GPR stock fits them better than the TC hawken. Frankly I think traditions supplies a more accurate barrel than TC, but other problems detract from fine target accuracy. A friend who is rather short, has a traditions long rifle. It may fit him fine. I nearly have to lay my head over the stock horizontally to eye up the sights. Not nearly enough drop for me. Production guns are manufactureed from the standpoint of average ergonomics and cost. Custom guns can (but not necessarily) fit better in cast off, drop and pull. If a gun doesn't fit the shooter, it is harder to get fine accuracy. Because Lymans tend to fit better, I think folks gravitate to them for production guns. It has been years since I had either Lyman or TC. But I know I did alot better in matches with the GPR than the TC. Oddly enough,once I put taller sights on an Italian invest arms Hawken, I started shooting even better Than with either TC or Lyman. Instead of laying my head over, or canting the gun to line up the sights, I was shooting it upright. Helps alot.

So try to find a gun, that you don't have to lay your head over to sight. One that fits your pull and neck length.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
just what ever you buy make sure its what you want and it will work for you for example hunting iron sites or fiber optict doesnt matter if you would like to shoot at some blackpowder shoots ironsite only and patch roundball only so its really up to you what you buy and can afford all we do and say is from past happenings so good luck in what ever you get it is great past time

·
Registered
239 Posts
I also have a left handed deerstalker that I was lucky to receive as a gift one X-mas.It is more of a modern gun with the rubber butt and black accent on forearm with adjustible hunter sight and sling studs(nothing shiny).The stock is beautiful and only had a two small blems you would have to look hard to see.I switched out the factory sights that came with it to Lymans fiber optic set.I was lucky and the first time I hunted with it I shot a nice 8-point in 07. I did'nt practice with it for the 08 season and missed a doe on the last Fri. in the snow and a really nice 18" 8pt. on the last Sat in the snow. It went off both times but I dropped the shot on both of them.Good luck, see ya in the late season.

·
Registered
155 Posts
One more vote for the Lyman Deerstalker. Great for hunting; find a load it likes and you'll never look back. Until you become addicted to muzzleloaders and BP that is :)

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I have a Lyman GPR, and won't be looking to get another flinter soon (at least a rifle, anyway)! It shoots much better than I can hold! I've yet to have a misfire with it!

·
Registered
653 Posts
I've had a Deerstalker since the early 90's, love everthing about it. I've replaced the sights with fiberoptics after breakin the back sight twice. Very accuate with patched ball or with sabots and very reliable ignition.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts