The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advise... Which one would your recommend and why???

Lyman Great Plains or T/C Renegade

Thanks,

ToothHunter

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Have owned both, both great rifles. Lyman GPR better for patched ball because of 1:60 twist. Renegade better for lightweight carry for long hunting, and better because of 1:48 twist if using a PA conical or Plains Bullet.

·
Registered
12,368 Posts
The Lyman seems to fit most men better than the TC. Better sight radius with the longer barrel. As for barrel weight. The renegade barrel is shorter, but also wider. 1 inch acf vs 15/16 acf. So just inch for inch, the Lyman barrel is lighter, but it does hang out there much farther due to it's length.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Had them both, they are both nice guns. I much prefer the renegade. It just feels right to me, and I shoot it decent enough.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Also had both. Which ever feels better to u. I used the renegade more often. I liked the shorter barrel to carry.

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
Yalp. That deep crescent butt style is an odd feel into your shoulder. My guess is that is wil feel either comfortable or awkward, depending on the "style" of shoulder a fella has.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
ToothHunter said:
Looking for advise... Which one would your recommend and why???

Lyman Great Plains or T/C Renegade

Thanks,

ToothHunter
OK, you asked. From having had 3 TC's and 3 very frustrating experiences with each, I would recommend the Lyman GPR. I almost quit muzzleloading until I tried the Lyman. Right out of the box, changing nothing in my loading regimen, I was getting a PRB 2 inch group at 50 yards. The TC's? Never got anything you would consider measuring.

I know alot of people swear by TC. All I can say is...god bless'm.

·
Banned
900 Posts
Being a left handed shooter I had very few choices in purchasing new mass produced guns. I bought the Lyman GPR in a 50 cal the last season PA was limited to PRB's. I then purchased the Great Plains hunter barrel in right hand version (not available in left handed) and had it modified to fit the left handed gun.

My experience has been outstanding. The gun shoots very well with either barrel using both BP and sythetic BP. ( there are things u need to do with the load to shoot synthetic BP for igniton). RB's, Great plains bullets and power belts all produce very nice groups. I use 245 aerotip powerbelts exclusively now as I have worked up the load the gun likes and this has been the best combo for me.

I "tune up and keep clean" a bunch of guns for guys I hunt with and many are TCs. Here is the best way for me to break it down for you.

Lyman: The "crescent" buttplate: you either like it or hate it. I love mine, fits really well.

overall styling: I like the old style look and long barrel. I refinshed the stock and got rid of the "black tar like finish" it came with leaving a very sweet looking piece of walnut.

sights: I went from the irons which I did not like to fiber optics and now to peeps. Love both the peeps and the F/O. Conversion was simple and the gun groups well with whatever sight I choose.

Lock: While at Dixon's I inquired as to what if anything could be done to "upgrade" the lock. His response was that he could sell me a number of locks that would fit the gun. He added that if it is working well and not broken it would be a waste of money to replace it. He said no advantage to replacing it. NOTE: I have smoothed all the pieces out and the lock works very well and it did so before I tinkered with it.

Thompsons: I have shot quite a few and witnessed quite a few shot. It's hard to say one is better than the other when I personally believe that most of the issues with flinters lie at the end of the buttstock (the shooter).

The main advantage that cannot be argued if the Thompson warranty (if it still exists). I have one personal experience with it: Elderly uncle broke off the screw that secures the frizzen to the pan. Broken inside the frizzen. Sent back to TC and they replaced entire lock for free. The gun is over 25 yrs old. No questions asked. Lyman will tell you how much a new lock is and where to send the money. I have heard of guys sending frizzens back and receving new replacements for free as well as the "hammer conversion" that plagued some of the older TC's. I doubt you can find an arguement here about the warranty for the TC vs the Lyman. TC wins hands down in that department.

The gun in general: I like a longer gun and it's a normal lenght. Wood is always nice and parts fitment always seem good. Locks are basically the same as Lyman and I see very few issues with them. Frizzens seem to be okay now and are interchangeble with the more readily available Lyman frizzens.

Overview: I think both are quality choices. Now, if you have the cash to go custom...well...I dont have the money and cannot advise you in that respect. As far as factory mass produced flinters both are great.. It all comes donw to what feels good to the shooter and his tastes in respect to this comparison. It's not like you are asking a comparison between _____ and Traditions. Traditions (although a good shooter etc) I think are more of an "entry level" "test the waters" purchase.

Sorry to be so long winded but wanted to give ya the best info I could! Here are a few of mine throughout it's transformation. Goodluck!!

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
I read someplace that these crescent butts were designed so the shooter placed the butt in the area of the upper arm and not the shoulder. Why in the world anyone would do that is beyond me.

·
Banned
900 Posts
jimsdad said:
I read someplace that these crescent butts were designed so the shooter placed the butt in the area of the upper arm and not the shoulder. Why in the world anyone would do that is beyond me.
I think someone was snorting the black powder when they came up with that one. I had heard that too and it makes no sense. Lol!!

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Lyman Great Plains hands down-----better yet get a semi custom gun made for you for a few more dollars----

·
Registered
12,368 Posts
re the crescent butt plates.

I don't understand the problem. I the bottom of the crescent should be wedged in the arm pit. I hold it the same place I hold every other long gun. I don't know anyone that puts the butt anywhere else.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
zimmerstutzen said:
re the crescent butt plates.

I don't understand the problem. I the bottom of the crescent should be wedged in the arm pit. I hold it the same place I hold every other long gun. I don't know anyone that puts the butt anywhere else.
Problem is, not everyone has girly shoulders that fit inside the crescent.

·
Registered
12,368 Posts
big difference between girly shoulders and obese shoulders.

I have seen a few beginning shotgun shooters place the butt on their chest, but that came from improper stance more than anything.

·
Super Moderator
7,994 Posts
I have a Renegade I finished from a "kit". I was young, so my dad took me to Dixon's with it, and they replaced the frizzen with a Lyman and replaced the "notch and bead" standard sights with "target" sights, which is a square post and square notch. HUGE improvement.

Over the years, I learned to shoot the TC well, but I just couldn't feel comfortable with it recently. I borrowed my brother's GPR (he doesn't hunt anymore) and it was an instant improvement for me. The fit was better all the way around, and I shoot it much better. There is no problem with the TC for accuracy, I simply shoot the GPR better.

BUT....

That experience led me to placing an order with Allen Martin. In two years, my brother's GPR goes back to him.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts